Opinions on upgraded light for 40g breeder?

Opinions on upgraded light for 40g breeder?

• ATI 4bulb Sunpower

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • ATI 6bulb Sunpower

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • ATI 4bulb Powermodule

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI 6bulb Powermodule

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

lolgranny

The DQ King
Hi all, im going to upgrade from my coralife pro 250w+2-65w PC's+2 LED moonlights to.... This is where i need YOUR imput :thumbsup:

I will ONLY be keeping SPS / chalices and under my overhangs i will probably toss some zoo's / paly's

4bulb ATI sunpower

6bulb ATI sunpower (Im siding with this one, i want to be able to have some on earlier then all at once

4bulb ATI powermodule

6bulb ATI powermodule

I figure you are all familiar with these so i will save time linking websites. IF you would like me to let me know :):)

Thanks all!
David

Im always open for other suggestions, the T5 ATI isnt a "MUST" I just cheaped out with my last light and regret doing so, so i want to avoid doing that again :D

Yes, but $$ is in a different boat when you pop up to that. :(

Hows Barrington! Have to love those cops over there ;)

Yes, but $$ is in a different boat when you pop up to that. :(

Very true but runs cool, uses less electricity

Hows Barrington! Have to love those cops over there ;)

One does not speed in Barrington or Palatine for that matter, and worst is Buffalo Grove and Arlington Heights. And if that is your car in your avatar, you are dead meat around these parts.

6x24 ATI Sunpower

Your chalices will not like a 6x39w ATI Sunpower over the tank.

There is barely any difference in performance when it comes to the Powermodule and Sunpower. You are paying for looks.

6x24 ATI Sunpower

Your chalices will not like a 6x39w ATI Sunpower over the tank.

There is barely any difference in performance when it comes to the Powermodule and Sunpower. You are paying for looks.

Will i be able to keep chalices with the 6 bulb still?

Also, isnt the powermodule higher par then the sunpower and have a better cooling system? Im unsure, i know there is a clear price difference haha.

Will i be able to keep chalices with the 6 bulb still?

Also, isnt the powermodule higher par then the sunpower and have a better cooling system? Im unsure, i know there is a clear price difference haha.

With a 6x24w Sunpower, yes. I had a 4x24w ATI Sunpower over my 40 gallon breeder for about 8 months. I kept anything I wanted in the tank.

I regret not going six bulb though because a good 4 bulb combo is almost impossible to find.

Using the shorter fixture gives you some lower light areas on the ends where you can keep chalices and other LPS. Even with a 4 bulb Sunpower I had to shade the majority of my LPS.

The Powermodule only puts out about 5% more light than the Sunpower. The cooling design isn't "better", the Powermodule just has one or two more fans. The cooling design is the exact same. Suck in cold air, blow it over the ballasts, down through some holes that blow right on the cold spot of the bulb and then out the other side of the fixture.

Noted! Would u recommend going with the 24" 6bulb then? Im rly at a loss at what i want to get. Im not going to OD on zoo's / chalice. I figure ill be able to put them below underhangs and my tabling sps to give them some shade.
I appreciate the imput, ive been looking for people with the same setup so i have a feel for what they were able to keep

With a 6x24w Sunpower, yes. I had a 4x24w ATI Sunpower over my 40 gallon breeder for about 8 months. I kept anything I wanted in the tank.

I regret not going six bulb though because a good 4 bulb combo is almost impossible to find.

Using the shorter fixture gives you some lower light areas on the ends where you can keep chalices and other LPS. Even with a 4 bulb Sunpower I had to shade the majority of my LPS.

The Powermodule only puts out about 5% more light than the Sunpower. The cooling design isn't "better", the Powermodule just has one or two more fans. The cooling design is the exact same. Suck in cold air, blow it over the ballasts, down through some holes that blow right on the cold spot of the bulb and then out the other side of the fixture.

I have the 6x39 sunpower over my 50 gallon which is just a couple inches taller than a 40 breeder and it is plenty of light to keep anything. Be careful I had major bleaching issues when I first put it up. Start high and work your way down.

Actually, from what I've read on the T5 Q&A Thread, GrimReefer does not recommend overdriving t5 bulbs on anything more shallow than 24 inches. A six bulb ATI Sunpower on a 40 breeder (16 inch height) would limit you IMHO to keeping almost nothing but SPS and clams.

Actually, from what I've read on the T5 Q&A Thread, GrimReefer does not recommend overdriving t5 bulbs on anything more shallow than 24 inches. A six bulb ATI Sunpower on a 40 breeder (16 inch height) would limit you IMHO to keeping almost nothing but SPS and clams.

Well it is a good thing that ATI's don't overdrive the bulbs.

A 6x24w ATI Sunpower will not overpower a 40 gallon breeder. I know that for sure. I ran a 4x24w Sunpower for over 8 months. The 6 bulb would have been even better for me!

Well it is a good thing that ATI's don't overdrive the bulbs.

A 6x24w ATI Sunpower will not overpower a 40 gallon breeder. I know that for sure. I ran a 4x24w Sunpower for over 8 months. The 6 bulb would have been even better for me!

Good to know!
Have any pics of it? What bulb combo are you using? Did you swap from MH to T5? How do you like them in comparison?

Good to know!
Have any pics of it? What bulb combo are you using? Did you swap from MH to T5? How do you like them in comparison?

I ran 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 KZ Fiji Purple. It was too white for me. 3 Blue Plus and 1 Purple Plus would have been better.

For 6 bulbs I really like 4 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI Purple Plus. If you want it slightly whiter, switch one Purple for a GE6500k.

I went from a 24g NanoCube that had a 150w Phoenix bulb on it, to my 40 gallon breeder.

T5's are hands down my favorite. The Phoenix was nice but the heat was a killer. Even with an air conditioned room I needed a fan to keep things below 80F. That gets really annoying, really quick.

This is the last picture I took before I moved the tank and eventually sold it while I am in school.

FTS10-30.jpg

Now I have a 7.5g cube with a PAR38 bulb over it. I am not impressed with LED's thus far and this is my second time trying them out. The PAR38 I have is not blue enough and adding blue LED strips isn't the easiest or best looking.

I can't wait for Ecoxotic to release their LED arm. But that is off topic, sorry.

Back