opinions please

coralfarmer84

In Memoriam
Well I haven't been able to find a setup so far that is used down here. Especially since i want at least 240 gallons. So I was thinking about buying a new tank. Here are my options....

1) 240 gallon tank 8' by 2' by 25 tall with starphire glass on the front pane and 2 overflow on the back wall.

2) 310 gallon tank 8' by 30 by 25 tall with starphire glass on the two long sides and one short side, one big overflow on the short side without starphire that has two returns and two drains. This tank would be viewable from both sides of the tank.

Do you think that 30inches is enough to make a nice reef setup that is viewable on both sides or will it be too tight? I don't want it looking like a strait up wall, sorta like a pyramid is more what i'm aiming for. now the 310 is about 1.5 times the amount of the 240, If it comes down to me not finding a used tank, i'm am going one of these two routes. which would you choose and why?

Definitly the 310, I had my 90 gal which is only 18" wide viewable from 2 sides and the front and it looked great 30" should be plently of room. I have my tank flat against the wall now and I wish it was still viewable from multiple directions, you wouldnt regret it.

I was so close to coming across the perfect tank.... and then i found out it was acrlyic..... it was a 375 8' 3' by 2' tall would have been exactly what i was looking for.... back to work i guess, who would have thought that finding a tank would be so hard.

The only thing holding me back on the 310 is the extra money. the difference is about 500 dollars... which if i had a job I'd be all over it.

Well i had a job and was then collecting unemployment for a while after, now i won't have another source of steady income until august.... BUT thats where savings has come into play for me. hence why i buy all used and make sure i'm saving a bundle.

well its looking like I'm going to get the 310... Today I planned the spot of the tank and wired some extra plugs on a separate breaker to handle this tank. It will be in my bedroom (which was transformed from a two car garage so its huge) and will be used as a divider between the doorway and my bed. I plan on keeping some pumps on timers so its not so noisey at night. Having the tunzes will really help because they are super quiet. So its looking like the second week of July I will be picking up my tank and doing some serious setup work here to get things into place. Then in August I will transfer everything I have in my current setup the 1200 miles to its new home. This is sure going to be something as I have to upgrade skimmers (I'm going to get an ASM G4) and also will be needing another halide down the road because this tank is 8 feet long and my current is only 6.
I am also making the switch to strictly RO/DI water and will have a fuge on this tank.... Now what about sandbed (barebottom or no) I still have a lot to learn I'm finding out. This tank will be 90 percent SPS with some clams, lps and starpolyps or something tastefully placed throughout.

Stacker you will be building me a sump/fuge combo for this.... I am thinking something around 50 gallons or so... what do you think the deminsions should be? I also need to know about how much this is gonna cost.... (I'll mow your lawn and take the wife shopping if you'd like :lol: :lol:)

Well, we can layout and build whatever you want. I'll need the stands' inside dimensions L, W, H plus skimmer and returm pump (s) locations and dimensions. Probe and Kalk holder built in? Etc. Etc.

At that size we'll use 3/8" acrylic and give you about 20/20/20 setup (25 gal. sump, 25gal fuge, and 10 gal. access area for holding/acclimating fish or corals.

I'd guess we can do a nice setup for $150 or so. I'l have to fire up AutoCAD and generate a design so I know how much acrylic I need then I'll check material cost.

D

Sweet... I don't know what return pump I'm going to use right now..... I know nothing when it comes to that category... but i do know its going to have to be a bargain most likely something used. The stand has yet to be built but its going to be 8 ft long by 30 inches wide just not sure on the height yet. And the skimmer is most likely going to be a ASM-G4 which is 25 inches tall i believe so that stand will be at least that tall.

I'd make the stand atleast 4" taller than the skimmer and it's gonna have to be VERY sustantial to handle the tank, 500 lb. of LR etc. etc. We'll test it by jumping a monster truck on it!!! LOL

WE can make a serious sump/fuge and only use up 48 x 28 x 18 that's 104.7273 gal. of which 1/2 will be your sump/fuge and the remainder will be flood protection. That still leaves you 48 x 28 x 30(ish) for skimmer, pump(s), reactors, etc.

I have a couple of good ideas for mounting monitors, timers, and a GFCI grid for power that individually pull out for access. We can do the same on either end and have pull-outs for storage of dry goods, additives, and food too.

See how good I can be at spending someone elses $$$.

I've got to do this about as cheaply as possible. I want something nice of course so i won't sucker out on everything.. just try and get me an estimate when you can. Thanks Ryan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7492438#post7492438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
I was so close to coming across the perfect tank.... and then i found out it was acrlyic..... it was a 375 8' 3' by 2' tall would have been exactly what i was looking for.... back to work i guess, who would have thought that finding a tank would be so hard.

Now I am going to take a look at this tank... it has everything I could want and for the right price... its all a matter of dealing with the fact that I'm going to scratch it... for sure...

From what you told me lastnight I think not getting the package would be a mistake. You could sell the tank and keep the stock in rubbermaids till you got a new tank and make out like a bandit. That is if everything is in good shape.

i talked to the seller again last night and found out i was mistaken. the pics i recieved which i believed to be current where when the tank was in its "prime". I was pretty angry cuz i had talked to this person once before and "everything" was included. Then i come to find out in the second convo that "everything" did not include the reactor, or any livestock. Whats up with that. So back to the drawing board.

Back