Orange Rhinopias!!!

JGHA

Orange rhinopias any one got one. I just ordered one for my flowr,does someone have any experience with them if so could you tell me about it. I also ordered a clown trigger and he will be in the tank with him and with a radiata scorpion-fish.

Thanks

best of luck- i hope your able to get enough food to the rhinopias w/ the trigger there, Rhinopias eat very slowly.
I would tell you they dont make a good pair, small clown triggers are food, large clown triggers are mean

Triggers will peck at those long fins. I've learned that the hard way. You may also have a hard time getting food to the Lion and the rhino with a Clown trigger as their tankmate. You may have to try live ghost shrimp at first to get the rhino to eat. Good Luck!

My experience with my rhinopias has been that you need to have him alone in a tank to learn about how to keep him. I suggest that at least you cancel the clown trigger because as mentioned by both people above, you will doom a beautiful fish -- or watch a trigger get eaten. It's great that you asked and would be even better if you listen to the advice given here. There are a couple of threads that are stickies here that warn about combining triggers and lionfish. Lots of good resources and good advice.

bad bad idea to put all those fish in the same tank - rhinopias will be toast

see the sticky at the top of the forum with video of a trigger and lionfish. you can hear the trigger snapping the lion's fins off with its teeth

all good advice...++1.

another thing you'll want to do is make sure you get the Rhino weaned onto dead food, which may require it being on its own for a bit.

it sounds like you already have the P. radiata...what are you feeding it? hopefully, you have it weaned as well.

one of our Rhinos lived with a full-grown volitans for awhile, and feeding time was a two person job before the fish got used to it. one of us would have to feed each fish at opposite ends of the tank or the volitans would try to take all of the food. our Rhinos are good eaters, but a hungry lion will outcompete them every time.

we will be keeping our two Rhinos with the volitans permanently once the diatom bloom in the new tank dies off...we're starting to see it dissipating now, so i hope to be moving the R. frondosa soon...

there are a few Rhino-keepers here, and Frank (FMarini) is THE scorp guru, so this is a good place to be.

Thanks everyone for your advise I think ill cancel the trigger, I like the rhino much better as for the radiata I have him on mysis and frozen shrimp right now will defenetly wean the rhino too, I think I will get him started with ghost shrimp and small mollies. What do you guys think, are they easy to get eating, do you think a better mate for this guy would be a leaf fish or are they too small. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your advise I think ill cancel the trigger, I like the rhino much better as for the radiata I have him on mysis and frozen shrimp right now will defenetly wean the rhino too, I think I will get him started with ghost shrimp and small mollies. What do you guys think, are they easy to get eating, do you think a better mate for this guy would be a leaf fish or are they too small. Thanks.

good decision, the clown will out compete the rhino for food and potentially arm it

Yea for the rhino! I am struggling with what to add in with my rhino and have not decided. I was thinking a frogfish or a leaf fish -- if there is one big enough. I also thought about the radiata -- I can't decide! I will be interested to hear what you decide.

I have decided for the radiata for now but I think I will be adding a leaf fish in a short future.

if you're referring to a leaf scorpionfish (Taenianotus tricanthus), the chances are that the lion will eventually end up eating it. leaf scorps don't get very big, and are extremely laterally compressed, making them easy to swallow.

if you want to keep a leaf and a lion, it would be better to keep a dwarf lion.

Back