Organic Carbon dosing ... Vodka or biopellets?

jkf1983

Premium Member
Been thinking of trying out either biopellets in a reactor or vodka dosing with a BRS dosing pump. I don't have the time or patience to dose manually every day... Any thoughts on which route to take? Seems like the biopellets are expensive and vodka dosing would definitely be cheaper long term. Thanks!

I'm trying out http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me..._Code=PA&Product_Code=TLF-NPX2&Category_Code=. But it's been less than 2 weeks, so I can't really comment. I went this way because I already had the reactor, so all I had to do was throw them in there. My other opinion was that if i bought the doser, it wouldn't be exact enough unless I diluted the Vodka, and I didn't want to mess with that. I have a 90, and I'm guessing these pellets will last me a year, so the costs aren't all that different. By the time I have to buy more, they'll probably be cheaper. Just some of my thoughts on it.

I use two little fishes biopallets and my nitrates went down from 20-30 to 0 in 2-3 months. I've been using them for about 4 months or so with no problems. It is not that expensive. You can buy 1000l package for $64 and it is for up to 250g tank. They last 3-6 months so it should be enough for 6-8 months (maybe longer) which is $8 - $11/month.

Back