Ornate Boxfish with cloudy eye

StAiden

Looking for some advanced help with treatment options on a Coldwater Boxfish that arrived with a very cloudy eye.
Here is the short version of the situation:
Fish arrived after 24 hrs in transit w one eye slightly cloudy.
Tank is 60 degrees, 1.024, all parameters normal. Qt had been set up waiting for him for 2 months.
In qt w no meds for 5 days, to monitor eye in case it was just a transit issue. Eating well.
He developed white cotton on a couple of fins, eye got worse, most likely diagnosis is Lympho.
Started Vit C and tea tree oil (melafix), no change after 7 days.
Switched to PraziPro, and after 3 days, some of the white spots on fins have subsided but I cannot say there has been a noticeable improvement in the eye.
He stopped eating on the Prazi, but yesterday his appetite came back big time. Eating good now.
We are now 14 days along, the eye is still cloudy and I am wondering if:
A) is the Prazi the best course of treatment for a cloudy eye (it is not pop eye)
B) has anyone tried Hydroflex from Ruby Reef? Thoughts on its success?
C) what options for treatment should I consider. I have spoken with the zoo vet about this fish, and her thought is that it is a viral infection, not flukes. There has been no discussion about doing a freshwater dip, as it would not cure the underlying issues.

I am looking for advice from those who have experience with Boxfish.
I will post a photo of the fish shortly.

Last edited:
The bad eye side. I know it's hard to see, but he's actually a pretty fast swimmer.
picture.php

Back