ORP too high ?

ekovalsky

Premium Member
My ORP has climbed up to 447mV, measured using a Profilux controller and probe. There is no ozonizer. Is this too high, or is higher = better ?

Tank is just over a month old but it was conceptualized to be started with an ultra short cycle; the diatom/hair/turf algaes have already come and gone and there are eight fish and some photosynthethic inverts -- a few corals as well as a clam -- all doing very well. Cleanup crew has been built slowly along the way, with particular animals added to handle each algae stage with just enough to control the proliferation then reach an equilibrium where there is enough to maintain them, i.e no mass starvation after the initial feast! I don't understand the cleanup crew packages frequently sold with huge numbers of snails and all sorts of animals to be introduced at one point in time...

Nitrate is undetectable, phosphate is undetectable (Rowaphos running in fluidized bed), pH range 8.2 - 8.4 day with kalk top off at night via dosing pump. Only maintenance has been 10% water change every other week, removed via sand bed vacuum after blowing off detritus from the rocks. Water change will soon be a continuous process via two more dosing pumps, with somewhere between 1-2 gallons automatically removed then added each day.

Mine used to read too high.
I moved my ground prob closer to it(about 4") and cleaned it by leaving it in the 400 calibration fluid for about 20 mins. Now it reads in the low 300's. It used to just slowly climb up in the 400's. after a cleaning with a tooth brush. I have not cleaned in a while now.
See my red house to view it.

Back