Osmolator issue......power supply

rovster

Hi all. My osmolator has been giving me trouble for the last 6 months, and lately it's getting worse. It's not an issue with the functionality of the unit. The problem is the power supply plug that plugs into the base unit. Basically, I think there is a weak contact causing the power to flicker and won't turn on. If I jiggle it, you can see the powers goes on and off buts usually end off. If I apply pressure in a certain direction I can get it to stay on, but when I release it it turns off again. What I think is the female plug the contact has been flattened out too much not letting it make a good contact. I feel like if I can just bend that out a little it would fix it, or shim something in there. I'd hate to send it in because I rely on it, so any suggestions for a DIY fix appreciated. Thanks.

I would first inspect the male end for corrosion, especially the inside or positive contact, this will corrode almost instantly if it lands in a puddle of saltwater and this is 90% of these problems. A new power supply will solve it. It should be shiny nickel plate just like the outer negative shell.

Beyond that, if this is a pre Oct 2011 built unit, you can generally adjust the female socket if you open the controller, the newer controllers, the socket is much fancier and they cannot be repaired or replaced.

Thank you. Both the inner part of the male and female have matte finish. The osmolator is almost 2 years old. Where can I get a new plug?

Premium Aquatics and Amazon stock them, part 5012.010. You can also order it on Tunze.com

Thanks, will do. Is it a problem that the female on the control unit is not shiny? The unit is working now, but I had to wrap the cord around it to keep pressure in the right place so it stays on. Would like to not have to do that anymore, LOL!

The outside shell you see is the negative, the more common issue is the inner tip, the hole in the middle, this is the positive and it corrodes much more rapidly, this is what I would check. It is the most common cause of bad contact, but without seeing it, I could not be positive this is the cause. Since it sounds like a newer style Osmolator though, it is really the only thing we can try as the new power socket is surface mount and cannot be accessed or replaced.

Premium Aquatics and Amazon stock them, part 5012.010. You can also order it on Tunze.com

Thanks for this information. I just found this thread after a search. I have the Tunze Osmolator unit with 2 extra pumps but no power adapter. I bought it used about 6 months ago and never checked to see if I got everything. I was able to place an order on Amazon.

Back