OT: AC guy?

Jgoal55

Im pretty sure I remeber an AC guy on the boards somewhere and I was needing some help.

If anyone knows about this stuff, id appreciate the help. So I went our and bought myself a digital thermostat to replace my old mercury filled one. Ive done this before no problem but today I was distracted watching the Gators get destroyed.

Anyway, you know that step where you're supposed to label the wires, well yeah, I skipped it. And now I cant figure out what's what. I'm using the old thermostat to try and get it to work again and I've been able to get everything to work except for the heater.

The fan turns on when I set it to on so I think Ive got that wire right and the AC (cool) turns on when I adjust the temp to colder than the house, so I think Ive got that one right. However, the heater wont turn on when I set the temp to 90.

I have 4 wires that were connected to the old thermostat. White, Yellow, Red, and Green. Then there are two unused wires. I've attached some pics to see if that helps. Oh yeah, and never mind the labels, those were guesses; I guessed wrong....lol.

Thanks 4 the help.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Ok, trying a few diff. configurations i realized that if all I do is switch the red cable from RC to RH (while leaving green in G1 as pictured), everything stops working. However, if I switch the green cable over to G2 and the red cable to RH, the heater and the manual ctrl of the fan work, but cooling doesn't.

If I leave the green cable on G2 and switch the red cable to RC, I lose manual control of the fan but the cooling works.

As it is in the picture, Cooling works as does manual ctrl of the fan but no heat (which in Miami really isn't that bad...lol) so so far this is how it stays!

That's like mine, no heater! lol
Speaking about AC units, I have been through 3 AC units(and fans) in the last 10 years. And now I'm having problems with mine and can't find any reliable AC repair center. The last one came here, told me the AC needed some gas, charged me $200 and left. The Air got a tad better, but is not strong as it was before. Miami weather doesn't help, but even then there must be something wrong with it and is not just the gas.

Jgoal if you open your inside units panel there may be a circuit board where the t-stat wires are connected to and you can see the corresponding letters. or if you could take a picture of where they are connected to and i can try and help you out. The problem with t-stat wires is not every tech follows the norm.

newmoon if your unit needed refrigerant then that means there is a leak some where in the system, and that the refrigerant is probably low again. But if your saying the unit is not blowing as strong as it was before check the coil it may be dirty and needs some cleaning.

Typical digital thermostats come pre-programmed to operate a gas furnace. You likely have electric heat. READ the directions carefully to determine what is needed to set/program for electric heat. It may be as simple as a dip switch on the back. What brand and model is the stat?

C&G, I tried looking on my interior unit and I removed the lower front panel. I couldn't find the cables anywhere but obviously they are somewhere.

In the middle/top of AC unit, there is a breaker switch under the plastic cover shown but that part of the AC unit doesn't seem to be removable w/ out breaking stuff.

Coraljunky, I definitely have electric heat (im in a condo). I bought two t-stats to try....one "Rite-Temp 6030" (very cheap) and one Honeywell RTH 7500D (not cheap). I figured I'd try the cheap one first.

photo-1.jpg

While your doing all this you should put a float switch on your condensate line to prevent flooding if your line gets clogged. Especially if your in a condo.

the wires are behind the top panel. you can unscrew it and it will come off. the break will stay in place as its attached to the unit.

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the help....got it all figured out.

Carlos, couldnt open that top panel w/ out undoing the AC tape and everything so I just went process of elimination with the wire config and eventually I got it working.

Coraljunky....the jumper got the heat working. I guess I never had heat to begin with since the RC and RH cables weren't jumped together.

Oceanmang.....there was about a zero percent chance of that happening. LOL.

However, there is a pipe that goes from the AC unit all the way down to the water heater drip tray and there is a drain built into that tray. Im guessing that should solve any flooding issues.

Thanks again for all the help

Glad you got your AC going again! I have been in the forget to label the wires boat before. I felt your pain, lol.

Back