OT: Any HVAC guys here? I need HELP!!!

Solitaryensis

Hey guys,
I need some help! So my sister didnt put the cover on the intake of her central heat system and somehow a mylar balloon got sucked in. A couple minutes later, the heater stopped working and we could hear the balloon melting inside. Like an idiot, i told her to run it and hopefully it would come out the other end - obviously that didnt work. Is this a fixable problem? Is she going to have an HVAC person come take a look? Is this something i can fix? I have some knowledge of the system and helped the contractor install the system but dont want to rip the entire system apart. PLEASE HELP!!! Sorry this is so off topic but if anyone can help, i know its the guys that frequent this forum.

TIA

If it was being run in cool mode you just have to find it. If it truly has a an A/C unit the A coil will be somewhere between the filter grill and the actual furnace. The balloon will be up against that. It should have an inspection port.

That's what I was afraid of.. This is likely very serious from your heaters point of view. You should call a repair man. The mylar, a form of plastic, could have made it to the heat exchanger. This could cause it to burn onto the exchanger tubes. They may then overheat. If they do they can crack then you will be admitting carbon monoxide poison into your house.

The repair guy will likely pull the face off the furnace and clean all the plastic of he can, then assess the damage. You may get off with just some nasty stink for a while. Perhaps burn off the residue with all the windows open.

Wether it's a gas or electric heat you said that it is central. Meaning forced air. The balloon would have to go through the fan first. You said the heat stopped so I would imagine that the balloon is wrapped around the blower. Turn off the power. Disconnect the wiring to the fan (noting where the wires go ) remove the two screws holding the blower in place and remove the blower assembly. You may be able to save the motor if it is not already burnt out. In the case it made it to the exchanger (Gas) or the elements (electric ) you can then survey the damage.

Some units have circuit boards mounted to the blower. Youn would have to disconnect this in order to remove the fan. Again note where the wires go.

Good luck! If you are unsure at all , Call a local service company for help!

Back