OT. Anyone good with computers?

CrazyEyes

Today my laptop got a water bath therefore messing up the keypad. Someone suggested taking it apart and trying to rescue it. Anyone around here have any experience with computer repair?

keyboard.jpg

I promise it all went back together and worked afterwards. :cool:

If it's just the keyboard they aren't bad to replace. You can find the part and instructions online for pretty much any computer. You just need some very tiny screw drivers and good eyes.

That actually doesnt look too bad. Might have to go to Radio Shack and grab the screw drivers. I just hope it didn't fry the main board.

Keyboards are usually one of the easiest things to replace. It just depends on the model, some you can get the keyboard off without having to remove 10-15 screws. Others, i.e any apple product or Sony vaio can be a major headache, requiring their own proprietary screwdriver.

It wasn't.
The screws look very similar. But, different types hold down different panels. Makes sure you keep them separated well. They are difficult to tell apart once mixed up.

Not that I would know that from experience. :eek:

If you see moister on any boards, I've been semi successful burying them in rice and baking in the oven on low temps. If it was fresh water you may have a shot. Saltwater I wouldn't bet on it.

Good luck

ebay keyboard + model number. I got a dell keyboard for a laptop for $20. Its an easy replacement and you already have it stripped down :)

I've done many keyboards on laptops. Some are as easy as a plastic trim panel on the front or as difficult as removing the entire back cover, ram,hard drive,battery ect..ect... My advise to you is to google the process. They have lot of tutorials on You Tube for laptop repairs. Find out your model number and go from there. YES sometimes the screws or different sizes SO BE CAREFULL!! Good luck :)
Nate...

Water is fine, electronics are pretty waterproof.
water & power = dangerous situation as you can short out little components.

DO NOT TRY TO POWER IT ON UNTIL YOU ARE SURE IT IS DRY AND CLEAN.

take a piece of paper and trace out the layout of where you are going to work. Push the screws into the paper to keep them organized, this lets you put the right screw back in the right spot. They use different lengths in laptops and it can get bad if you overtighten a screw and snap a board.

Camera phones are your friend, snap lots of pics, you never know when you might need them.

If the machine got wet, put it in a large bag with rice, the rice will pull the moisture out the machine. DO NOT POWER ON until you are SURE it is dry.

Was this clean water? If there was any soda, coffee or other juice, the sugars will be a problem and it will need to be cleaned and rinsed before reassembly.

Youtube for a video on your model, there are many tear down guides, get a spunger (plastic knife for popping plastic tabs).

PM me with any questions, I do this day in day out.

It was clean water, it was actually Perrier( I know lol) So, I spilled water on it, quickly wipe it off and blew all the excess water off with canned air and it was fine for about 20 minutes. I then powered it down. BUT, this was my work computer so after I got the new laptop I HAD to briefly turn it back on so I could put some files on a jump drive but the quickly turned it back off. I am really hoping it's not fubar. Hey Blue Coast, where abouts in St Pete are you? And about how much do you charge to do this sort of thing?

I would take the HD out and use a jumper to transfer everything to your new laptop...I wouldn't risk it if you don't have too....

It's too late for that. At this point though, if I can save it it's just a bonus. Still crossing my fingers.

Everything I needed off it I already transferred with a thumb drive. But, I just took the keypad off and I can see no signs of water, not even slightly moist so the water probably didn't make it past the keypad so I might just have to buy a new keypad which are like $20, sure beats the $400 I had to spend on a new laptop.

Back