OT: BlueRay Player recommendation?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11882204#post11882204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djorijun
Panasonic BD30k, this one is better than the PS3 depending on what your sister is going to do. If she is about PQ and SQ than stay away from the POS3 it doesn't give you what you need for SQ and many have complained about overheating. The only pro to the PS3 is that you can play PS3 games and it is upgradeable to BD 2.0 when it is released but if you already have an xbox 360 you won't need BD 2.0.

she doesn't have any game machine. She is concerned about the overheating. My sister loves watching movies (4-8hours watching in free time) I don't want the player burning down. First I thought they designed for game which can run longer due to a lot of people playing very long time. PS3 owner please tell me about your experience with overheating. Any cooling fan use?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11882448#post11882448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FOSELONE
have her wait till the new 120 - 160 gb ps3 models come out...you could always swap your games like @ game stop...

When ? she doesn't wait too long for it and the cost more than PS3 40g or 80g . I would love play my ps2 game on the ps3. I can share with her :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11880526#post11880526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_doug
I personally would stay away from the HD DVD suggestion. You probably saw today that Toshiba is about to ditch the HD DVD, basically giving path to BR.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/02/18/toshiba.hddvd.ap/index.html

I would get the PS3 if you really want to add HD video. Otherwise an upconverting DVD palyer from Costco could be less than $80.
I think you misunderstood my recommendation. Like I said for the clearance prices recently (and definintely upcoming) you can probably score an HD-A3 for less than $100; have a good upconverting player AND a great HD player at the same time. Doesn't matter if it's obsolete at that price with good software selection as is. Buy BR in a few years and you'll be out less than the cost of current BR player, PS3 included.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11883581#post11883581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Texsun
You misunderstood my recommendation. Like I said for the clearance prices recently (and definintely upcoming) you can probably score an HD-A3 for less than $100; have a good upconverting player AND a great HD player at the same time. Doesn't matter if it's obsolete at that price with good software selection as is. Buy BR in a few years and you'll be out less than the cost of current BR player, PS3 included.

I recall a deal that Sony was offering where you sign up for one of their credit cards and they will give you $100 off a PS3 (or maybe it was available towards all Sony products). Not sure if the offer still exists though.

Daniel - Plumb a line from your chiller into the PS3 to keep it cool!! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11892618#post11892618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KWoo008
I recall a deal that Sony was offering where you sign up for one of their credit cards and they will give you $100 off a PS3 (or maybe it was available towards all Sony products). Not sure if the offer still exists though.

Daniel - Plumb a line from your chiller into the PS3 to keep it cool!! :D

I will check at store and the link.

I don't have chiller so I can't plumb it to PS3. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11883173#post11883173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NVTE
She is concerned about the overheating.

Guy's, can you comment or link to this...This seems like its a problem with ours.

I have never had any problems with my ps3 over heating and i have had it on all day playing games and watching movies i don't run any other cooing fans just the 2 fans inside is all you need. And one of the goods things about ps3 its really silent not like the xbox 360 witch sounds like a hair dryer. I am also selling my ps3 i have not really been playing games as much as i used to its the 60 GB model its about 5 months old i got Unreal Tournament III and warhawk selling it for $365.00 and i have the receipt

i got the ps3 with the 80g and i love i going on 1 year. i actually sold my 360 to get the ps3. ans 2 months ago i got the wii

PS3, because it is software upgradeable.

So when changes to the spec come out, you will get an update over the Internet and you're all set.

The other players most likely aren't also computers so they probably can't do that.

Cheers
Josh

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11909569#post11909569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spider8u
I have never had any problems with my ps3 over heating and i have had it on all day playing games and watching movies i don't run any other cooing fans just the 2 fans inside is all you need. And one of the goods things about ps3 its really silent not like the xbox 360 witch sounds like a hair dryer. I am also selling my ps3 i have not really been playing games as much as i used to its the 60 GB model its about 5 months old i got Unreal Tournament III and warhawk selling it for $365.00 and i have the receipt

I can honestly say you're one of the lucky ones, I am a very big video/audiophile and I along with many others I've known and know were very unhappy with the overheating and LOUD fans, to be honest my web/ftp servers made less noise.

I hear about the noise and heat all the time - but I haven't had those issues. I keep the PS3 on an open 'wire' style shelf - not in a cabinet. It is hooked up via HDMI to my 1080p monitor and Onkyo receiver... I can leave it on all day without incident. I did a marathon last week where I finished Conan, Call of Duty 4, Ratchet and Clank all in one day. Then watched a few blue rays to finish the night.

Your servers made less noise? I had two servers that sounded like jet engines when their fans were on. If your PS3 was that noisy, I think something was crazy wrong with yours!

Now that I think of it, yes, I can hear the fans blowing if it's quiet in the room and I'm 1 ft away from it (When I had it in my bedroom). Now it's in the living room. Of course, it's never really quiet in the livingroom with the 200 gallon tank...

Last edited:
There is a lot of heat that comes out of the vents - but it's not hotter than the exhaust on my laptop.

Back