OT - Cash for Clunkers Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana19620

Car dealers are complaining that claims for rebates for the program are being denied. Yet I wonder how many dealers dealt with cars like that of my daughter's neighbor.

The neighbor had a Honda Fit (remember, these have only been in production since 2007 and get about 28 MPG city) they traded in. My daughter was furious when the neighbors told her it was traded under the cash for clunkers program as this was not the kind of car the program was set up for.

I wonder how many other dealers traded "junkers" like theirs and are now complaining that they are not getting their refunds due to "minor oversights" on the paperwork.

yea, thats pretty ridiculous that they tossed that car. amazing that a 2 year old honda fit wasnt worth more than 4500, those neighbors need to learn how to invest their money better.

We did it (12 year old minivan) and after walking out on one really sleazy dealer (Gross...ing...er Toy) got a new 2010 and couldn't be more pleased. Best new car buying experience I've had.

All my cars get around 5 mpg i dont mind :lol: if someone was stupid enough to trade in a honda fit for ~$4500 thats there own problem....I highly doubt thats the case though as there is a list of what CAN be traded in. AND you can only purchase a car on the "new" list

If they wanna start selling cars the get great MPG they better get on the fact everything they have so far looks like CRAP that said ill stick to my 100+ octane 5 MPG junkers ;) :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15541989#post15541989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LatinoHeatCHI
Your Chevy gets good mileage :p

Its not really "my" car we broke up but my name is on the title lol therefor i think ill keep it :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15541967#post15541967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jon luciani
If they wanna start selling cars the get great MPG they better get on the fact everything they have so far looks like CRAP that said ill stick to my 100+ octane 5 MPG junkers ;) :lol:

Couldnt agree more. I'll drive my 8 MPG Cobra with no smog stuff on it. :D

Although this week I get to pimp around in my buddys 4 cylinder, so Im doing my part. :lmao:

Pretty soon theyre going to try to outlaw cars like ours Jon. :mad2:

plenty of nice cars (by taht i mean American brands) that get decent gas milage. my dad traded in his 07 GMC Serria truck (7-8mpg) for a 2009 Chevy HHR SS, now he gets 15-20gph city with air. and this things is quick too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15542023#post15542023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 121a
2009 Chevy HHR SS, now he gets 15-20gph city with air. and this things is quick too.

:lol:

hahaha.jpg

Doug, its the truth theres to many 17 second warriors out there anymore, When the kid nextdoor thinks his 2000 honda civic"can make more power than your cobra" you know theres a problem.

When I was out this afternoon while coming home from my parents house I was beating.. wait, I mean driving very nicely... in my buddys Evo IX and some guy in a Mazda 3 was messing with me. :lol:

I now understand what he means when he says he gets no respect with that car. :lol:

RIGHT!!!! thats how my dsm was over 800hp and CIVICS would mess with me all day :lol: the cobra or the stang no one wants to touch with a ten foot pole!

*EDIT* mind you the DSM was downtown doo doo brown with a rust hole in the door it still sounded like a cracked out beast

There was a huge problem with the program on the dealers' end when it was started because no one knew the rules to the program. Cars did get traded in that didn't qualify and quite a few dealers are now going to have to eat the rebates that they should've gotten.

Your neighbor's Fit in no way qualifies for the rebate and I would not believe that they used the cash for clunkers program on the trade in. It is worth more than $4500 as long as it's running but through the program they would ruin the motor which means that the dealer could not give the customers the remainder of the salvage value that a running one would be worth. Not to mention that it get 10 mpg more than the top end of the accepted maximum mpg of 18.

Poorly informed neighbor or dealership, or both.

cash for clunkers

cash for clunkers

All these people with nice new cars. Nevermind the EPA announcing that scrapping all these cars causes more pollution than the MPG reduction saves! The important thing is we all got to help our neighbors buy new cars! "Change we need"?

If done properly i think it does help some people get a car that they might need. Friend of mine traded in an isuzu rodeo that drank fuel like crazy for a mazda 5 that works better for his family and has great gas mileage. I do think think they need to go over the mpg ratings, my parents minivan does not qualify because it supposedly gets 19 mpg combined which i know to be total bs, that minivan is lucky to see about 14 mpg.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15542762#post15542762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dohc97
If done properly i think it does help some people get a car that they might need.

Worked for me. Wifey has a new car, much better milage (+14 mpg more than the van). Rules were clear enough imo.

It's change in my pocket so its Change I can believe in. :rollface:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back