OT: Gear Head Update

u4ick

Theorist
Finally got the motor in. :D
It's been one challenge after another, but it's complete.

Now just need to get it tuned. Car didn't want to run at all, cause the computer thinks it's still got 28lb injectors.

aeef2dab.jpg

I am probably going to have to do something about the firewall. I had no idea that the 102 intake was this much taller. :worried2:
Things look a bit tight :lmao:

0814d1de.jpg

2003 Zo6

LS3 6.2 (stock bottom end)
Cam (oops a bit big, had to fly cut pistons .100)
lifters
rocker arm trunion upgrade
Mellings High Volume Oil Pump
Double roller timing chain (pain in the butt, had to clearance oil pump and front cover)

LS3 heads (milled, valve job, fully ported)
Cometic head gasket
ARP head bolts, cam bolts, ballancer bolt

FAST LSXR 102 ported intake (prob should have went with a 93 cause the 102 is really close to firewall)
ERL 102 Throttle body (having issues with it throwing codes, having to return it, may go with a Nick Williams unit or just stick with the 90 it's getting tuned with)

Powerbond 10% under-drive pulley

4 wire adapter harness's to adapt Gen IV engine to Gen III car

That's it for the new stuff (I think :lmao:)

Previous stuff

1.75 Kooks LT headers, catless X-Pipe (coated by Jet Hot)
VR Cold Air Intake
Spec stage 2+ hybrid clutch with light weight flywheel
3.73 gear diff. with hardened output shafts
Solid keys in 3-4 syncro's

Ive heard of the 102's actually losing power compared to the 90's, but that was on ls1 stock motors, I'm sure with the mods you have it will be just fine. I'm looking to get rid of my trash bbk intake man, and replace it with a fast 90/102. I have a heads/cam/FBO slp camaro. Which will be for sale soon ;) I miss my vette too much lol

Nick williams??? Is he the one from AZ that flies all over and tunes for shops. I also need a tune baaaaadddddd lol. I went down to the "performance by Joe" place and may just have it done there since I dont know of anywhere else in town

Oh how do you pass emissions here, In az as long as you dont have a code you are good, but I heard they smog cars here, and well my car spits gas out the back so I know it will fail if they do that lol

Being that he needed to fly cut the pistons. Thats a big freaking cam! I hope you are running 93 octane out there, or you will be investing in TORCO.

Should be able to do a pretty descent ethanol tune I'd bet, But I'm with you the higher the octane the better in my book haha

The fast 102 is actually a waste of money for ls3, ls7 rectangular style heads. The fast intake are great on cathedral type heads. The factory ls3 intake ported will make the same amount if power as the fast 102 and blacksscamaro you are right you will make more power with a fast90 90 setup there is no need for a 102 unless your making 700+hp. Nice car and build Im guessing 485whp with factory ported heads but I would love to run it with my little ls1.

Ive heard of the 102's actually losing power compared to the 90's, but that was on ls1 stock motors, I'm sure with the mods you have it will be just fine. I'm looking to get rid of my trash bbk intake man, and replace it with a fast 90/102. I have a heads/cam/FBO slp camaro. Which will be for sale soon ;) I miss my vette too much lol

Nick williams??? Is he the one from AZ that flies all over and tunes for shops. I also need a tune baaaaadddddd lol. I went down to the "performance by Joe" place and may just have it done there since I dont know of anywhere else in town

I have heard some debate on the 92 vs 102 intake, and I may just end up swapping for a 92. I was told that the 102 will make a difference in better throttle response, but that the 102 Throttle Body won't make any difference at all in a NA car.

Nick Williams is a top manufacturer of the 102 throttle bodies.

I know Joe @ PBJ....if you catch him on his "good days" all will be fine.....that's all I'm gonna say about that.

I know of 2 other tuners if you're needing one.

The fast 102 is actually a waste of money for ls3, ls7 rectangular style heads. The fast intake are great on cathedral type heads. The factory ls3 intake ported will make the same amount if power as the fast 102

The guy that ported my 102 has proven results to get with in 1-2 HP with a ported LS3 intake VS a un-ported Fast 102. Hind sight tells me I should have just went that route..... definitely wold have saved me a very nice chuck of change.

Sounds like you will be at about 500+ HP to the wheels. That should make a nice fast vette ;)

depending on how big this came is.. Ill guess it will be 512whp haha

..... Nice car and build Im guessing 485whp with factory ported heads but I would love to run it with my little ls1.

Well based on the fact that this exact cam made 485 at the wheels in an LS6 with stage 2.5 heads in an identical car, also had headers, but stock other than that. I am extrapolating that I should be somewhere in the 520 area.

Hopefully I will know by tomorrow.

Well I'd love to see it. And I am interested in hearing about the other tuners. If you are in north county at all you are welcome to stop by. I'd drive to you but my car isn't really safe to drive at the moment lol

Tuner called today to chat about fuel pump. Said that at around 5800 there was a 10psi drop in pressure and that concerned him, worried that stock fuel pump won't be enough for this motor. Said he's only gotten it up to 6200 on the dyno so far with only 16 degrees of timing trying to get the fuel tables dialed in and she hit 465 at the wheel. Says there's lots of timing to add, and most likely 50-65hp at least depending on how much timing she likes.
So it's sounding like my predictions will be on the $$ or maybe a bit more :D

Isn't it an all motor car??? I wouldn't think the stock fuel pump would be having trouble at that Hp range. Hell a lot of the 600+ cars in ax ran a stock fuel pump with just upgraded fuel lines

Who is doing the tuning ?

Dave Dosier(sp) up at Pur in St. Charles
Was going to g o to a guy way down south named Chad but it's a long way from me. Starting to think I should have went that route. Got tired of waiting on Joe at PBJ

Isn't it an all motor car??? I wouldn't think the stock fuel pump would be having trouble at that Hp range. Hell a lot of the 600+ cars in ax ran a stock fuel pump with just upgraded fuel lines

Yeah that's what I my understanding was. May be an issue with fuel pump. I've had to replace one in this car before :(

I following. Im somewhat of a gear head my self. Just dont have time or money to build a V8 right now. Ever heard of the LSJ

Back