Ot: HD TV's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273471#post12273471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ppurcell
I agree that paying 25% of the original purchase price after a few years does stink, but not as much as paying $1,000-$3,000 more up front so I can avoid paying $300 in a few years.

Thats obviously a huge step up, but if you can get a plasma or a LCD that is only a bit more I would think it a wise choice to get that instead. Don't forget you need to replace bulbs on DLP"s as well. Thats around another 200-400 *each* or so I think?

I have seen 50" plasmas for around 1500, maybe a bit less now. If you can sacrifice the 6" might be a better option.

You guys win (or maybe I win; depending on how you look at things) I went ahead and pony'd up a few hundred bucks more for a plasma. I was about to purchase the Samsung PN50A550 but at the last minute I found a deal on a Panasonic Viera TH50PZ77U (2007 model).

Delivery is scheduled for Thursday and HD DirecTV installation on Tuesday. Should be fun.

Thanks for the help and advice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274441#post12274441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Volcano1
I got a 50" pioneer plasma last year. Did alot of research on the net and viewing in stores. The AVS forum is a good resource and the have sponsers who do have realy good prices and excellent customer service.
That being said I choose plasma as my choice for the best picture.
IMO picture quality was
1. Pioneer elite
2. pioneer kuro lineup
3. panasonic
4. samsung
Didn't go any further down the line than that.
I did end up with a 720 p set, and it looked better than other manufactures 1080 p set's.
If you choose 2,3,4 I think you would be happy.They may extend your budget a little.HTH

When I looked into it late last year, I chose Panasonic Plasma. The only ones I recall that were rated better were the Pioneers, but there was a price premium for them.

I checked Consumer Reports later and found out that the Panasonics have a pretty low incidence of malfunctions too. We have a Panasonic Plasma and are happy with it. (TH-50PX75U)

We have a Gateway 42" plasma that quit 3 months after the extended (3 year) warranty ran out. :furious:

-hank

Last edited:
Back