OT - Jumped out of perfectly good airplane!!

EDJFA

My dad turned 70 on May 1. He was 101st Airborne when he was in the Army back in the 60's during the Vietnam war. His unit never deployed, but he said they were on the bus a few times, but for some reason never actually went over.

Anyway, what do you get a paratrooper for a big birthday? A trip to go skydiving of course.

Well, my brother, also an Army/MO National Guard guy, said he's not going to go and just watch dad have all the fun. He was going to jump too.

I couldn't just let that stand, so I said I'd go too. My wife thinks I was crazy, but also knew that if I didn't make it, she'd be a wealthy woman. She made me check to make sure my life insurance policy would still pay out in the case of death by doing something dangerous.

It was a blast. I was a lot less nervous than I thought I'd be. Maybe it was shock. Maybe it was because I'd seen my dad and my brother already land safely. Maybe I'm just that kind of a guy.

We jumped with Fly Free Skydiving down in Festus. Great group of people who run the place. Larry, the tandem jump guide, was great. I would highly recommend them if you too want to fall like rock at terminal velocity for about 35 seconds.

Glad to be back on the ground, but I'm also happy that I got to share that experience with my dad!

Ive jumped a few times. You cant catch a better buzz. Definitely something that everyone should experience once.

I've jumped a few times as well in Vandalia and Perris, CA (pre-kids!) Once my kids are on their own and I lose a few lbs I'd love to get back into it. There is literally no other thrill like it in the world!!!!!! I bet your Dad loved it too!!!

I'm down in Festus and see them jumping all the time. Just curious what the rate was and how long a process.

I'm down in Festus and see them jumping all the time. Just curious what the rate was and how long a process.
Group rate because there were four of us who jumped was $210 plus they take stills and videos of your jump which of course they will sell to you. Most expensive package there was $85, I think.

They normally don't open M-Th, but they did for us because we guaranteed them we were bringing four people. Good thing they did too because they went from 4 of us to I think 10 before the day was finished.

Our process was longer than normal because of the weather. It was very cloudy, windy, and spitting rain in the morning. We were scheduled for 11am but didn't end up jumping until around 2:30pm. They only have space on their plane for one jumper at a time if you're doing a tandem jump. It's 30-45 minutes between jumps. I would guess on the weekends they have more than one person qualified to do the tandem jumps and it might go quicker.

I have an uncle who lives right behind Lowes there in Festus. He said they can see them jumping from off of their back deck.

That's awesome. I've always wanted to try it but it'll have to wait a few years now...my daughter's only 15 months old and my wife would freak about me "risking my life."

That's awesome. I've always wanted to try it but it'll have to wait a few years now...my daughter's only 15 months old and my wife would freak about me "risking my life."

Just tell her its safer than driving to work.

Just tell her its safer than driving to work.
Haha. I doubt she'd go for that. I sold my Ninja last year since I wouldn't be on it as much with the baby. I've since been told that I don't ever need one of those "death machines" again. Lol

Haha. I doubt she'd go for that. I sold my Ninja last year since I wouldn't be on it as much with the baby. I've since been told that I don't ever need one of those "death machines" again. Lol

I agree with her that motorcycles are death machines though. Ive never known anyone to own a motorcycle their entire life without being in a bad wreck on one.

The guy who taught my skydiving class said his son had 50 jumps before he was even born. The parachutes they let you use these days have microchips in them that determine speed,velocity,and altitude and if your main chute doesnt open by a certain time or altitude it will automatically open it for you. Even if your unconscious. They tested it at air shows by tossing big bags of potatoes out of planes with parachutes on. lolz

Back