OT - Lets all sit back and enjoy a good smoke

Very nice job regardless. If it was good, that's all that matters. Got into injections yet? I love playing with flavors injected into pork.

Agreed with Pat, if it was delicious then doesn't matter what anyone says. Just offering a tip...

Question, how long did you let the rub sit on the meat before smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OT - Lets all sit back and enjoy a good smoke

Agreed with Pat, if it was delicious then doesn't matter what anyone says. Just offering a tip...

Question, how long did you let the rub sit on the meat before smoking?

I have to confess.....I woke up Saturday and was like.....I want to smoke something again! So we ran to the store and bought another Boston butt. The rub was only on for less than an hour (I know!!! I'm sorry!!! LOL) Like I said before I am learning planning is very important.

Kept it simple this weekend for the fiancé's fathers birthday. Stuffed burgers and bacon wrapped dogs.

c54d7114f790b9fde98c2cb818809134.jpg

Although they look nothing like burgers, they do look very interesting. Care to share the recipe/prep?

Although they look nothing like burgers, they do look very interesting. Care to share the recipe/prep?

So I do a smaller version of the beer can stuffed burger. The way I do it, 3.5oz of 80/20 ground beef. I form a meatball and then shove a shot glass through the center and form the meat around the shot glass. This will basically make a meat bowl. I then wrap the outside with bacon. Then you can stuff the bowl part with anything you desire. Cook at 225-250 for about 35-40min depending on how done you like your burgers.

I see some mac n cheese, what else have you got stuffed in there?
What flavor wood chips do you use?

I see some mac n cheese, what else have you got stuffed in there?
What flavor wood chips do you use?

I used hickory pellets on this cook

This time we did:

Mac N Cheese
Bacon n Blue Cheese
Sauteed Mushroom and Swiss

We've Done:

Roasted red peppers and fresh mozz
Sauteed mush/onions and swiss
pulled pork n cheddar
Bacon and Cheddar
Pizza Burger, sauce with pizza toppings
Alfredo and Broccoli

I'm off to a slow start. I've had my smoker since Father's day, and all I've smoked is a single rack of ribs. They came out ok, but certainly a far cry from what I was hoping for.
I picked up a 7# pork shoulder yesterday and put a good coating of rub on it. It's been in the fridge overnight, and is sitting out now. Smoker is heating up, and I'm ready for attempt no. two :thumbsup:

Alright my man. Can't wait to hear how this one comes out. We all have had less than expected outcomes when it comes to smoked goodies, but as you know, trial and error.

On the ribs, care to elaborate? What process did you use? Most of us do the 3-2-1 method. Set to 225-245, smoke 3 hours, wrap in foil and cook 2 hours, unwrap and cook 1 final hour.

Alright my man. Can't wait to hear how this one comes out. We all have had less than expected outcomes when it comes to smoked goodies, but as you know, trial and error.

On the ribs, care to elaborate? What process did you use? Most of us do the 3-2-1 method. Set to 225-245, smoke 3 hours, wrap in foil and cook 2 hours, unwrap and cook 1 final hour.

For better or worse, today is the day! I have 5LBS of country style pig ribs in my new smoker :)
I "brined" them overnight in a mixture of Cherry Dr. Pepper and sea salt, used a food network rub recipe, heated up my smoker, and just popped them in. I have some Apple wood chips that I plan on using. I also have some Cherry and some Mesquite. My reading leads me to believe that the Apple will add a soft smokey taste that's a bit sweet. The Mesquite is more bold and spicy, so I'll start slow with the Apple.

There was no foil involved. I just smoked them @ 250* until the internal temperature got to 190*

I actually built a little area for my smoker.

You are a very talented man, that looks sweet.
You do roll that monster away from your house before you heat it up, right?

Aluminum siding and have never had an issue. I've run it now half a dozen times in that location including a couple long cooks with zero sign of heat damage.

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures, but I smoked a small turkey (14#) for Thanksgiving yesterday.
Many compliments came my way :D
I think I'm going to buy a fryer and a fresh turkey next year. I have been wanting to taste deep fried Turkey for some time now, but the fear of fire is real with those rigs. From what I've read, and what I know about the forces at play here, a dry, fresh (unfrozen) turkey added slowly enough to a proper size pot, with the correct amount of peanut oil, the danger is very low.

Back