OT: parrot ( Cockatoo ) owner?

bullitr

broke but happy
My in laws have so many birds in the home mostly parrots but We love the palawan mynah specially since it's very smart, talkative and easily trained to mimics phases but it's illegal to buy one in California so I am getting a second best thing which is sulfur Crested cockatoo for the looks and ability to mimic words . I know it can be very loud and I read its quite needy?but how easy is it to be trained to mimic new words if I bought a mature that talks and tame already?

parrots are not a toy and will live longer then you.
they are needy will get depressed if you leave them alone very long.
im not trying to scare you off from buying one but id do A LOT you research before getting one.
for ie im 33 year's old my mom got our parrot when she was pregnant with me and she still has it.
they are a life time commitment.
ps on the upside they cant get ick!!!

I have a Yellow lab, pretty mellow at two and is happy being in the same room with us. She makes a little noise when she gets needy. Now my neighbor 2 houses down have 2 pink Cockatoo's and while they do talk they are noisy all the time and they have to be on their laps or forget watching tv with the noise. When company comes over that the birds are not familiar with they have to cover the cages or the noise will not allow conversation. The 2 birds have taken over their livingroom with large cages and a bird tree that they play on. My kids like to visit them, but I can tell you from the little I see they are noisy, messy, and very needy pets. I would rather deal with the little white spots on my fish, than the large white spots on your shoulder:)

Reminds me of a reefer I visited in new port about 5 years ago. When I got to the front door both birds went crazy flapping wings and yelling. A really loud shreak. I was like wow who needs ADT you have an alarm with these guys. Next one was swearing worse than a drunk sailor. Entertaining though

Sent from my Dummb Fone!

My wife and I own a 4 year old African grey parrot. She is super intelligent and fun to be around. As fireball said above, I would research a lot before you make the purchase. Most intelligent parrots are needier than a dog and do tend to out live you so be ready for that.

Just to weigh in on this, I used to train birds when I was younger and I got the opportunity to have them at my house for long extended periods of time.... Kind of like a foster home to them.

I enjoyed it....

Except when the 2 McCaws got out and ate the window. Yep, the whole window frame, sill, and drywall surround..... 2 hours..... it was only 2 hours....

Except when I came home to a cockatoo that had escaped from his cage and was sitting next to the chewed microwave cord with flash marks on his beak!

Kind of sounds like I have crappy cages with the escapes an all, but it wasn't that.....

Remember this:

Birds are extremely smart and often times they are both crafty and manipulative.....

They will tell you what they want and then they will depand that you listen....

All that said, if you have the patience, they are wonderful animals that give you all the love and attention back that you give them.

They do tend to gravitate towards one sex or the other..... Often times a bird will only like males and will really dislike females...... good for you.... not goood for your wife.... Or visa versa.

If you get a cockatoo, sulphers and moluccans are the best!

We have enjoyed our South American Parrotlet very much, although as others have said they require attention everyday.

Our little guy's name is Sully. He's a loud little bugger. Makes lots of noise when we have people come over as well.

He doesn't talk much, but will say "Poop" then laugh (I was trying to teach him to go to the bathroom on command)... also "Good Boy", "Step Up", and "Good Morning". Most of the time though its various calls and chirps... some louder than others.

Parrotlets, like parrots, are extremely inquisitive and can learn tricks which is cool, but you also have to keep an eye on them for this reason.

Oh and get used to crap on your hands and cloths because most birds poop every 10 minutes which is kinda annoying as well.

My wife had to have a bird... he took a liking to me... and now she says he's all mine...

I love the little guy too much now to get rid of him so I guess I'm in it for the long haul as well.

Here is Sully after a bath-

Sully001.jpg

And pretending my wifes hair is his nest... he loves doing this.

Sully003.jpg

Former African Grey owner here. Mom still has him. It's been at least 25 years since we found him. Yup, FOUND! Flew right into our window, or banged into it I should say. We took him inside, looked for ads of anyone in the area with a lost bird, and have had him ever since. Who knows where he came from?
They do gravitate toward one sex or the other. Ours loved me, hated women. Talkative is neat, but once they know it's cool and get positive reactions, it's tough to shut 'em up. A nice blanket over the cage is a good idea.
Square cages better than oval, something about them getting dizzy or something, research it.
They are way messy, and need constant attention. And, a good bite can cause stitches too, remember that too. STRONG animals. Also, remember to keep the wings clipped, or you could lose your bird with an open door and nobody paying attention.

Ours would pick on our cat. Kid you not, no fear. Had him trained enough to lie in my hands with his feet up. He's drink water from my lip, (which grossed most out) but showed the trust I had in him.
Miss him sometimes, but when I visit my mom, we always re-connect. Wife wanted no part of him when we got married, can't say I blame her. They are a lot of work, loud, and messy.

Hmmm:( Thanks guys I guess I stick with cockatiels.
I wish I can buy a Palawan mynah Because it's small,not needy, extremely smart and repeat all the phases we teach it quickly.
Like " no cash advance at this time and no people inside so go home in Cebuano) when it sees my father in laws employee and since my father in law have over 100 employees coming in and out of the house. It's pretty entertaining.
It also mimic dog bark better than anyone I can see and hear.

Cody. I have a blue pocket parrot. (Parolet) his name is Ziggy. Coolest bird around. He laughs. He coughs. He flies to me. Like yours, he was supposed to be for Christy but ended liking me. I will post a picture later.

I have not tried to bathe him. He loves to be outside.

Cody. I have a blue pocket parrot. (Parolet) his name is Ziggy. Coolest bird around. He laughs. He coughs. He flies to me. Like yours, he was supposed to be for Christy but ended liking me. I will post a picture later.

I have not tried to bathe him. He loves to be outside.

Awesome! Yeah I'd love to see a pic or two.

Oh, I don't bathe him, he does that himself... dunks his body in the water dish. My in laws have one also and they share similarities, but definitely have different personalities. Ours loves to be scratched and pet, theirs not so much. Ours is a lot more rambunxious and always wants to check something new out, chew on a piece of paper towel, theirs will sit on your shoulder and not even move for hours.

Does yours keep its feathers really tight and smooth? We named ours Sully like the Monsters inc character cause he stays puffy almost all the time. My inlaws bird doesn't ever look puffy. You know what I mean?

Ahh already working! Eesh. Did you get the email I sent you? How is the tank looking as compared to when you left it?

Back