OT ponds

Lmecher

I read Dana19620's thread on pond fish and was compelled to post. First I am happy to see some are keeping backyard ponds. I have always loved my little puddle. We are putting in a larger pond and am looking for a 40 mm liner. Any recomendations as to where I can get one at a reasonable price?

Ebay!!! I built a 400 gallon give or take pond at my house in melrose park, one problem.........the racoons kept eating my fish lol

The Dog Patch in Naperville is advertising 45mm liner for $0.69 sq ft in 5', 10', 20' & 30' width. Which is more than ebay, but it's a local store with knowledgeable staff.

My neighbor has a pond, he setup a motion sensing impulse sprinkler to deter intruders like raccoons and ducks. I've got the same one and it keeps ducks out of the swimming pool.

Ours turned out to be a possum. We had to secure chicken wire around the pond. The other night (2:00am), though, our Finnish Spitz dog went outside and caught it - tore it up but didn't kill it. The dog came in with excrement on her fur and when I took her out to give her a bath found the possum. Had to call animal control in the middle of the night to put it out of its misery.

This stupid dog can jump up in the air and catch low flying birds, which it kills, and a few months ago killed a cat that came into the back yard. Beautiful dog, but not animal friendly (nor would I ever trust her with children under twelve or so).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15490001#post15490001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dball711
Lmecher...I cant believe you didnt mention this to me???

It has not been formost on my mind. The pavers are done, we are ready to start laying the pond out. We spread 20 yards of top soil (mud) today in the rain. I am trying to landsape too, the rain it making my life miserable. At least I got my fragging done, I have priorities. :rollface:

Hey I have some ideas you might like, I'll call later or maybe swing by to see the mud hole.

+1 on the fragging, any minis that make it to the swap or you gonna keep it a secret...

Re: OT ponds

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15488539#post15488539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lmecher
I read Dana19620's thread on pond fish and was compelled to post. First I am happy to see some are keeping backyard ponds. I have always loved my little puddle. We are putting in a larger pond and am looking for a 40 mm liner. Any recomendations as to where I can get one at a reasonable price?

Menards sells rubber membrane roofing, which is the same exact thing as pond liner, but much cheaper. It's on sale sometimes for $99 for 10'x30' (maybe bigger). Even the regular price is cheaper than pond liners are pretty much anywhere. Just an FYI....

+1 on the roof liner.

I have a bog area around my pond where I grow - what else - bog plants! Used the pool liner around the outside of the pond to hold the water, then filled this area with dirt. Allows for more landscaping diversity around the pond.

one problem.........the racoons kept eating my fish lol

bigger is better as they say. don't make an easy way for the critters to get into the pond. mine is about 2' deep around the perimeter 4.5' in the center.
raccoons and blue herons normally get into water to try and catch fish. make it unstable for them and they won't enter the pond. i have seen both in my yard and have never lost a fish to predator. suicide yes but not animals.

+1 on the roof material only difference is talc powder. wash it real good.
i bought my liner underliner,filter and pump from anjon in st louis. jon brought it all up to the midwest pond show. no shipping.

make sure you put an under liner in or you will wish you did at some point.

56437pond-thumb.JPG

When I used to do residential deliveries & what people would tell me is the main culprit of losing fish in their ponds was hawks.

Heron's are my enemy! I'm digging my pond deeper and without ledges to keep those buggers out!

I had Heron issues too. I put a fishing string 2' high around pond. They can't climb over it. They stay away.

Wow, some fantastic suggestions. A place we visited installed an electric fence to keep the herons away, not something I'd consider. We plan to go appx 3' in the center. My husband and I are disagreeing as to size. He wants to go much larger than I do but I guess (as with my SW tanks) I will at some point decide it's too small so... I am thinking maybe 10'X20' but we are still discussing it, what else are we going to use the yard for anyway right?

If you have the room, go with your husband and go larger. I like my little pond, but if we had the room, I definitely would have a larger one.

I once was told a story from a guy that used fishing line & bait. The other end was tied to a big rock. Once the heron swallowed the bait & tried to fly away.... Well it's effective, but sick.

Back