OT..Steve Irwin is dead.......

True True...I didnt mean to imply that he deserved what happened in any way. The world would be better off if we all enjoyed our jobs like he did! (and if we were as good at them also, haha)

Passion is a wonderful legacy for a kid. His kids have learned it from both parents, in the best learning lab they could have, and let's wish the kids to go for it and tend crocs or explore the ocean or whatever passion guides them.

Stop criticizing someone from the safety of your keyboards. I hope you all enjoy the satisfaction of being right about a man being killed and how he had it coming. Your right! Now do you feel big and strong.

Lets just ignore this and move on...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8082580#post8082580 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mermin
Stop criticizing someone from the safety of your keyboards. I hope you all enjoy the satisfaction of being right about a man being killed and how he had it coming. Your right! Now do you feel big and strong.

He was a controversial person and not everyone agreed with how he handled animals. (He used the force) Please keep negative comments to yourselves. I did not post this to bash... What he did for Herpetology is more than the best herpetologists in the world could have done (even they agree). He opened peoples eyes up to animals that would have been killed in the past and he helped millions see the beauty in them..

Sure, the show made money, that went to him, and he used it to build up the zoo and rebuild habitats. He made his money from the zoo. So technically one could argue he made money from his show.

Irwin was in complete control of the situation. JMO. He knew what he was doing. And I know how valuable a life is...four of my friends have been killed in the last three years. If you'd have watched Steve from the beginning of his career, you'd know that he was in control of the situation. It's a different lifestyle. Would you let your 10yr old child (hypothetically) go out alone on the streets of Bogota? No. Would a Colombian? Some, yes. When I was there, this is what I saw. Irwin was brought up around crocodiles, around venomous snakes, etc..he was raising his kids just like himself. He knew what he was doing.

Im sorry but it is a touchy subject. its not a matter of opinion but life and death. I just would like it if people would step back and look at what he actually did. And think about how cool a dad that would be to have. Your traveling all over the world seeing things 99 percent of people havnt. I saw a segment of his daughter talking about some lizard and it was amazing. She knew everything about it.

And just so I don't look like some fanatical Steve Irwin groupie, "Every cent we earn from Crocodile Hunter goes straight back into conservation. Every single cent." (quoting Mr. Irwin himself). So yes, the zoo is conservation, and he made his money from the zoo, along with public appearances on talk shows etc. To say that he wouldn't be doing what he's doing without getting paid is just flat out incorrect.

I would prefer a father who is alive rather than cool.

Everything said here is a matter of opinion. The only person it was life or death for was Steve Irwin himself. They always say the brightests flame burns out first. No one can argue that his children have gotten to experience things most people never will...but you must include loosing thier father at a young age. Who's to say that they are better off, its just a matter of opinion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084646#post8084646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mermin
Im sorry but it is a touchy subject. its not a matter of opinion but life and death. I just would like it if people would step back and look at what he actually did. And think about how cool a dad that would be to have. Your traveling all over the world seeing things 99 percent of people havnt. I saw a segment of his daughter talking about some lizard and it was amazing. She knew everything about it.

he was filming stingrays not feeding a croc. what happened to him was a freak accident. How could that have been avoided so he would be their alive father.

I don't care if it was a house cat, I am sure he was still getting closer to a wild animal than the average person would.

In any case, here I am doing what I suggested not to do, ignore your comments. This will be my last.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090457#post8090457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mermin
How could that have been avoided so he would be their alive father.
He could have stayed away from the stingray, that's how.

In all seriousness, everyone is entitled to their opinion whether one thinks that the other is wrong or not. That's life and we have to learn to deal with it.

My opinions are as such. He was a great entertainer who "dabbled" in wild animals. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened to him. Am I sad that he's gone? Yeah, sorta. Do I refrain from voicing my opinion regarding him out of respect? Heck yes and that's all there is to it in my book.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090633#post8090633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amcarrig
He could have stayed away from the stingray, that's how.
OK, I stayed quiet, now I have to put my 2 cents in... First there have only been 3 confirmed deaths from stingrays in the last 68 years. Your odds of being hit by a bus are better than that. So, do we all stay locked up in our nice secure houses (that could fall down around us) to stay safe or do we live life to it's fullest?

The bottom line is he loved what he did, died happy and his children will have lots of video to remember what a wonderful, funny and caring person he was.

Hats off to Steve Irwin for living a life I would have loved to be able to live if I had the courage....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090633#post8090633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by amcarrig
He was a great entertainer who "dabbled" in wild animals.

Annick, not just directing this at you, but I've heard this sentiment from other people too...he was not an "entertainer", in the regard of his profession. He was an environmentalist, an owner of a zoo. He was doing this stuff long before Crocodile Hunter. The just filmed his work in the field, and he added some commentary, as it was a television show. He did not "dabble" in wild animals, he was all about animals his entire life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8090810#post8090810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cindyolson
So, do we all stay locked up in our nice secure houses (that could fall down around us) to stay safe or do we live life to it's fullest?

The bottom line is he loved what he did, died happy and his children will have lots of video to remember what a wonderful, funny and caring person he was.

Hats off to Steve Irwin for living a life I would have loved to be able to live if I had the courage....
Le sigh. I repeat:

everyone is entitled to their opinion whether one thinks that the other is wrong or not. That's life and we have to learn to deal with it.

Do I refrain from voicing my opinion regarding him out of respect? Heck yes and that's all there is to it in my book.

Back