OT..Steve Irwin is dead.......

'Crikey!'
Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!” in his television program “Crocodile Hunter,” which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program “A Current Affair” that “killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me.”

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December

What terrible news...he's been one of my idols my entire life... I was hoping to go to Australia and meet him. He was a great man, very inspirational, RIP..

I thought he was a little nuts to be doing what he did with having children and a wife. If he was a single guy i would of had more respect for him.....

Unlike Steve Irwin, Earnhardt wasn't hanging out the window while he was driving and wasnt climbing out on the hood or other crazy stunts. Earnhardt was one of my favorite drivers of all time and I havent really been into racing anymore since he died. The difference in racing and what Steve did is that in nascar and all forms of racing they attempt to make it as safe as possible. Why take unnecesary risks when you have children was my point. Did i watch crocodile hunter? Yes but i always walked away saying the guy was an idiot and probably pay for his stunts some day. If he wasnt payed for it (via tv) he wouldnt have been doing it.

Irwin has been my idol for 10+ years...my plans in college were to do a semester in Australia, and intern at the Australia Zoo. I'm still planning on doing that. I am stunned by the loss of this great man...he will live on in the minds and actions of his family and fans.

About his son...he didn't put his son in danger. The man has captured a 16' crocodile with his bare hands...feeding a captive crocodile is a piece of cake for him. Don't forget, he was brought up on a reptile farm just like the Australia Zoo...maybe if one of us went into that pit and fed a croc with our child in our arms, then yes, they'd be in danger. But he knew what he was doing. Which is precisely why a croc didn't kill him. He wasn't even filming the stingray...he swam over it, whilst his cameraman was in front of it, and it felt boxed in. They were filming the reef for his daughter Bindi's show.

Regardless of his apparent disregard for safety (I believe he knew exactly what he was doing, some people believe the prior), one cannot argue with his contributions to wildlife conservation and eliminating some of the blind fears people have.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8077340#post8077340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pncstod
If he wasnt payed for it (via tv) he wouldnt have been doing it.

Irwin didn't make any money from the television show. Every cent from Crocodile Hunter went into rebuilding habitats and the zoo. He'd been doing what was shown on his show for his entire life.

Well I would not say he did not make any $$ from it. It actually made him fairly wealthy. And he invested that $$ into his zoo. That place have come a long way since he started doing his show...

Quote from tsquad: "About his son...he didn't put his son in danger"

How many kids do you have? Seeing that you are still in high school from you profile i think you should reserve comment on having children until you have one. I think your idea's will change just a hair, once you have a child of your own and look into his or her eyes and realize just how amazing life really is!

Believe me he was paid for the tv show. What do you think he did it for charity? He may have chosen to pt some of the money he made back in the zoo bu t i can gurantee his family is pretty well off because of his crazy stunts on tv!

IMO, if you keep putting your self in danger over and over, sooner or later you are going to get bit. This news has been a long time comming. I am just surprised it wasn't a crock!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080756#post8080756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Biggie
Mess with the bull you get the horns. R.I.P. Steve...
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And if you save yourself from all peril, mask yourself off from all disease and view life via your telly you die from early hardening of the arteries. There ain't no safety, really.

And if you save yourself from all peril, mask yourself off from all disease and view life via your telly you die from early hardening of the arteries. There ain't no safety, really.

Amen to that to , life isnt worth living without passion , fun and living everyday to the fullest . I agree with pncstod once you have children its in thier best interest to take care of yourself for thier sake , but they need to be able to explore and sometimes make mistakes to really get the most out of life . He died teaching ppl about our wonderful planet in a way that some ppl who dont find most nature programs entertaining can connect with and enjoy . In my opinion if he helped change one persons outlook he did his job . Im sure he did that for more than one person .

Back