OT: suggestions on a bike?

jsl6v8

Sorry for the off topic but I have seen a handful of bikers in the club and thought, now here is a place I can get some honest opinions.

I am looking into getting a motorcycle and I have actually never driven one, I plan on calling the harley shop up near me and inquring about their training class later today. The thing is I like sport bikes more than the Harley style bikes. I plan on getting a used one as I don't think a new bike is in my budget really, awful big chunk of my paycheck goes to fish tanks. So I am looking for suggestions on a good reliable bike that should be easy for a beginner to catch on with, that will hopefully last me for a while. Any suggestions on what to look for, what to get, what not to get would be extremely helpful, or even where to look for one would be good too.

Thanks in Advance
Josh

lifesworksataol

i would look in the bike trader. you can pick up a pretty new bike for about 3500, if your looking for a sport bike. people always say start out on a 600, but i wish i would have started out on a 900 or 1100 and not had to buy another bike once i learned how to ride. the 900 is not any taller or any heavier either. they make a ninja 500 that you can buy for like 900.oo used(its a girls bike). for me i have to stay away from sport bikes, if i get another bike its going to be a cruiser. the more you ride a sport bike the better you think you are and the more bold you get. :)

AJ69

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11611585#post11611585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lifesworksataol
the more you ride a sport bike the better you think you are and the more bold you get. :)
sorry my"friend" but that is a wrong statement ,is up to the rider experience/skills not the bike...

You could start with a 600 cc (lightweight) and work your way up,but once again that depends in your riding style,hrs spent riding ,not like Harley's folks that are weekend riders or grocery store fellas riders that get tired of riding after a couple of hrs.(lol)

thor32766

a lot of new people love to start on the SV's from suzuki. An sv 1000 is a great bike. Also 600's now days are totally differant then they were 5-6 years ago. They are getting close to what the 1000's were putting out not to long ago. I loved my GSXR, but it sucks on long rides with the riding position. Some of your more naked bikes are great to ride, because they have an upright sitting position. Most of all take a day and go sit on bikes and feel whats comfortable to you to sit on. That makes a world of difference.

jsl6v8

I'll have a car still so I'm not so worried about long trips will be more of a to work and school thing and I live like 20 min tops from school and the work commute is half that. Little worried about how hard they are to learn to ride, guess taking that class will be about the only way to find out.

lusenut2

The class harley puts on is a great class. They really work with you if you've never been on a motorcycle. Also you get 1 free rental with it. so its worth it.

The statement Jason made I couldnt agree with more. I had never riden on a bike, and just hanging out with my friends and riding there bikes every now and then, I was up and riding the bike down the street at 120. I started at 30mph, a week later and 15 mins of seat time, I was up to 80 mph, the next week at maybe 20 mins ever being on a bike I was at 120 mph. I had to get off and walk away. lol

thor32766

By long ride I mean 45 mins. A ride to daytona can be grueling on a crotch rocket.
Yeah I know what you mean chad doing a 100 on these bikes is absolutely nothing. When my friends started doing like flies and still doing rehab. I walked away from it.
Doing 150 down i-95 its so addiciting. Just be careful and ride safe.

Pterodactyl

Its really going to depend on you.
I took the class just to see if I liked riding or not. That way if I didn't like riding, I was only out $200 instead of a couple thousand. Turns out I loved it! I didn't take it at Harley, but at another place near Daytona. My instructors were great and I would recommend them to anyone.
After the class, I bought a bike within a week. Its a Honda Shadow Ace 750 and I like it. I think Matt found it on Craigs list. Its comfortable for long or short rides and is cheaper to fill with gas than the truck. The bike is well balanced and easy to control. One added bonus on the Honda Shadow...my insurance agent tells me that they are the cheapest to insure because of their good reputation. I think I am paying less than $100 a year.
My recommendation to you is to first take the class and see if you like riding. You either going to hate it or love it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Melissa

jsl6v8

I think I'll take it at Harley as its probably about 4 miles away, just for the simplicity of it. Thanks for the suggestions.

smellfishy

If I can add one thing I have been ridding for over 20 years. I am a sport bike fan and If it was me knowing what I know now I would really start with a 600 class bike. They are usually a little more forgiving and have plenty of power. Riding one for the first time you will be amazed at the acceleration after only driving in cars. Your going to save on insurance also with a mid class bike. As you become a more experienced rider sell it and move up to a bigger bike if you like. Besides if you are going to get a used bike you could potentially sell it for close to you you initially paid for it. What ever you do don't become an organ donor use good protective gear and get a good helmet and use them always.

dugg

I can tell you from experience, and i know it is starting off a little big, but my ZRX1200r is the best all around bike i have ever owned. That being said, i would not reccomend you buy this or any other bike until AFTER you go to TRAINING. The schools have bikes there for you yo ride and learn on, and to see if you even think you will be cofortable riding a bike before you spend $3500 to $4000 on a bike. I have almost 30,000 miles on my ZRX, and i have done nothing to it but oil and tires. It is a naked bike (no plastic ferring), and has way more power then you will ever need (top speed 185 to 190 mph). It wieghs enough that traffic doesn't blow you around (very important unless your a big guy), and handles like a dream in traffic. It also has one of the most comfortable seats ever. I ride it everywhere, and never once arrived with a sore butt.
It may sound stupid now, but whatever you buy, make sure it has a gas guage on it lol. Nothing sucks worse than running out of gas in traffic and fumbling for the reserve switch.

To find a good school go to floridamotorcycletraining DOT com and contact them for either a class there, or a good class near you. They are great people and will gladly help you get started. A beginners 2 day coarse runs around $225 i think. Money well spent. They can teach even seasoned riders things they never thought of. Be prepared for the fact that in class, they don't care what the weather is on your schedualed day, you will be in the seat all day rain or shine lol. Hope it rains so you will be better prepared for the first time you get stuck out in it. Good luck.

evega

I started with a Yamaha 600 and ended with a Kawi ZX12. My son had a bad accident on my ZX12 bike was total loss, was not his fault, he suffered a broken wrist other than that he was very lucky. If you never had one start with a 600. You can go on line find the Mortorcycle Safety Foundation they also give the classes.
***Be carefull and watch for other drivers***

jsl6v8

Well from all this I can say that I'm defintately taking the class first, planned on doing it anyway but it seems like an even better idea now. I think I'll look at 600's, assuming that I will enjoy riding, but I'm a little confused on what exactly makes something a 600 class. Also what are the common, good, bikes that are in the 600 class. I'll be taking the class at the harley near me, its very close, uness someone knows of a reason why I shouldn't. Any specifics on good bikes would be great, never thought of the weight thing until dugg mentioned it, I'm not exactly a big guy, about 170lbs.

Thanks to everyone for responding, keep the suggestions for coming.
Joshua

dugg

The wieght issue is what keeps me off the 600's. I like a bike that wieghs over 400lbs. Trucks and cross winds can blow you around pretty good on the lighter bikes.

The (600 class) means the engine size 600cc engine. A 600cc sport bike is still very fast. Make no mistake, the 600cc will kill you just as fast as the 1200cc. They both are fairly close until you hit the 120 to 130mph range. It's after that kind of speed that the 1200 really shows you that you're not on a 600 anymore.

My personal opinion here, you really shouldn't buy a sport bike for a first bike. You haven't felt acceleration untill you goose the throttle on one of these things. Night and day difference from a cruiser. I have over $30,000 in a 1/4 mile drag car, and it won't touch this $4000 1200cc stock bike on it's best day. The sport bike does handle better, but is very unforgiving if you get stupid. Trust me, you will get stupid, it is just too easy to do. I normaly ride safe, but i have made it from my house to Tampa and back in 1hr 45min. In my car the same trip is right at 2hrs each way. With the insane amount of power these things have, they just beg you to twist the throttle. 150mph feels like you can jog along beside the bike sometimes.

When you do get some seat time, and decide you want a sport bike, give the Kawasaki ZRX1200r a look. I have owned several bikes, and this thing blows them all away in every catagory. Very strong dependable, comfortable bikes. In the mean time, get you a Honda 750 shadow, or spring at the Harley shop and get a sportster, and learn to ride before you jump on a rocket because ROCKET is a very well earned, much deserved name for them.

Fuzzy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11618916#post11618916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dugg

My personal opinion here, you really shouldn't buy a sport bike for a first bike.

In the mean time, get you a Honda 750 shadow, or spring at the Harley shop and get a Sportster,

and learn to ride before you jump on a rocket because ROCKET is a very well earned, much deserved name for them.

What he said :thumbsup:

Especially the learn to ride part - take your time, practice slow speed maneuvers, practice braking and cornering.

It's easy to hop on a bike and ride in a straight line. It takes lots of practice to learn how to judge turns and stopping distances.

What ever you decide - just ride safe and never exceed your abilities!

Fuzz

jsl6v8

I'm not to worried about my speeding to much, like I mentioned earlier it will be purely a home to work home to school kind of thing, traffic on lake underhill doesn't usually allow for much more than 55, and alafaya during class time is just as bad. I think if I decide I like it I'll start looking at 600 class and just take it easy and learn to ride it before I even start my short commutes, I'm alright with dying but I would rather it not be said that I died being stupid.

dugg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621211#post11621211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jsl6v8
I'm not to worried about my speeding to much, like I mentioned earlier it will be purely a home to work home to school kind of thing, traffic on lake underhill doesn't usually allow for much more than 55, and alafaya during class time is just as bad.

Even a 600 will do 0 to 100mph in a short block, traffic don't matter lol. It's not really how much room you have to go fast, but how much room you have to stop that determines life or death on a rocket lol. It takes less than a half a mile to hit almost 200mph, and a full mile or more to bring it back to a stop. Miles go by like feet at 150+ mph. You just can't imagine the amount of raw power and accelleration these things have until you get on one. I believe there should be laws about how old you should have to be (25 IMO), and experience level (2 years) before a shop can sell someone a rocket, or atleast a different class of license for one. That is actually how i ended up with my 1200, a shop sold it to my son when he was 20 as his first street bike. He rolled up in the yard on it, and never sat back on the seat. I took the key from him, and went straight back to the dealer with it. They wouldn't take it back, so i bought him another bike (750 shadow) and kept the 1200. I was out $4000 but i still have my son ;).

I have been riding for 30 years, and you can't pay me to ride in that kind of commuter traffic.

jsl6v8

why would a Honda shadow 750cc be any better than a 600 class sport bike?

I personally don't like the styling of the cruisers, harley, and the shadow, I always picture that guy in armagedon on the Big Bear. Just seems like the only ppl that belong on those style bikes are big guys with ugly beards lol.

dugg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11621850#post11621850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jsl6v8
why would a Honda shadow 750cc be any better than a 600 class sport bike?

Because on a cruiser, when you twist the throttle, it's more along the lines of a car in accelleration levels. They top in around 100mph, so no urge to feel what 200mph feels like lol. A rocket on the other hand is like having a top fuel funny car with no cage around you in accelleration levels. My 1200 will literally force you to give it more gas if you hit it too hard from a slow speed by mistake. It pulls soooo hard, that either you hang on tight, while it's trying to ride out from under you, which causes you to pull back even harder on the throttle, or let go and watch it fly. I have seen people that didn't know what to expect hit the throttle on a rocket, and couldn't hang on. You would not believe how many brand new rockets with under 50 miles there are that are mangled into a wad because an in experienced rider didn't know what to expect until it was too late.