OT who's ready for bow season?

I have been looking forward to gun season for a couple weeks now. I like that it allows me to stalk more easily. Not to mention opening day sounds like the fourth of july in the timber. :)

wanted to go out in the morning and tomorrow afternoon, but my 7 month old has a fever and cough. so might be on the shelf until next week

My buddy just called me. He got out of his stand at dark and was walking back to the house. He heard foot steps and thought it was his neighbor walking out to chat. Only to turn the corner and be 10 feet away from a massive 10 pointer. He jumped about 10 feet and turned on him. He was staring him down, huffing, and stomping his foot. My buddy thought he was going to get rushed. He was frozen without a shot. He was terrified. The deer bolted and now he can laugh about it, especially with gun season 5 days away. He's ready for him now.

sedorusc hope your kid gets better!

Cully thats VERY funny you say that. I have a story for you guys..

I got out after class today at around noon and was in an area of the property I hunt that I havent touched since about a month before the opener. I get to a nice tree, and use my viper to climb up. Its at this point I see a ladder stand about 10 yards on THIS side of the property line! This wasnt there when I was doing scouting this summer. I am the only person allowed on this property and was instructed to tell anyone trespassing to leave, and call authorities if need be. I decided not to do anything about it at that point - why let it ruin my hunt? I was going to leave a note politely asking them to move it (I fear whoever it is may seek revenge and spoil this prime land I get to hunt) but what happened next kind of kept me from that..

It was very close to legal shooting light to end and I told myself I would ride it out until it was completely dark because I always seem to see deer in the first or last mins of shooting light. I stay for about another half hour and at that point I could barley see out to 20 yds so I start climbing down. As I am climbing I hear something walking in the distance and realize for sure that its a deer. So I just sat and waited until it got close. Well it got to about 30 yards not completely downwind but not upwind either. I sat in complete darkness and listened as this deer circled downwind of me. A friend of mine has a buddy who works for a scent company and he gave me some "dominant buck" to try out. Well I had dumped some from my stand on the base of my tree when I first got there this morning.. When this buck smelled it he paced back and forth with his head down snorting blowing and whatnot like to the point where I was way too freaked out to climb down from my stand. So there I was, 5 feet off the ground, in complete pitch black, yelling (literaly telling him to go away) at this buck who just seemed to get madder as I yelled. I was in my tree for an hr after dark, and had the creepiest walk out I have ever had.

NEVER a dull moment. Thank God for the outdoors.

I saw some rut activity this past weekend. A good sized 6 pointer was grunting and chasing after a doe. Less than 2 minutes later I had another 6 pointer 15 yards away but it stopped broadside behind a tree. It must have known something wasn't quite right because it turned directly away from me (behind the tree) and walked/trotted away.

I only saw 4 deer during all of bow season. It's been a really slow/depressing season.

I've got a feeling we might see some good activity this week. Call it a hunch. I'll be in the woods a lot this week and weekend. After that, my season might be over. Wife's due in 2 weeks, but it really could happen any time.

cully could be like my buddy who's firstborn was born on opening day. heard he was comparing hunting stories on the way to the hospital with his brother. my son seems better today. of course was out at 6am and sat until 11am. heard some grunting just before I was ready to climb down. hated to do it, but my mother in law was watching my son as he couldn't go to daycare because they have to be so many days without a fever before going back. slowly walked out of the woods and saw several deer in front of another stand. I'm not a good stalker so I left it at that.

funny story of mine: was spring turkey hunting several years ago. had a large mature buck come out of the woods 5 yds from where I was sitting. my heart was racing. anyway he did alot of wheezing and snorting, head bobbing and stomping at my decoys. had a little fun with him though with my mouth call. otherwise the encounters that freak me out are coyotes. they are sneaky little boogers. was sitting in the same hedge end of shooting light when one popped out 5-10 yards from me. gave it a warning shot

Moved a new stand to the spot I've seen a bunch of deer running thru on some new land I got privledges to hunt like 2 wks ago. Couldn't wait to get in it today. So, where are all the deer tonight, you guessed it, right in front of the spot I was in with my Viper last week when I saw all the deer. WTH, can't win. Huntin hard the next 3 days though.

Chris, glad the boy is doing better.

last day boys! I'm losing 300 acres to the orange army today. I still have 100 acres where I got my 8 that's bow only. Hope they'll use it as a safe haven because Saturday I've got another buck tag! Going at it all day to day. Leaving now. Back for an evening hunt if nothing this am.

Good luck if you go out!

Good luck to all going out in the morning for the opener of southern tier. I got out open morning for bow, only saw one to far to wing a arrow at. I have a bad feeling about opening day out back of my place. They went thew and logged the woods next to our place and have got everything screwed up.

Ran into a guy in the parking lot of the bowling alley with a bull in his truck. He said it was rough scored at 186 -It was typical but I didn't count points, I'd guess at least a 10-12 but some may have been under 1" that wouldn't count... Never seen anything that big in person... Said he got it near 63 in Groveland in case anyone knows who I am talking about. I hunt (Gun only) near that area, so here's to hopin'!!

Good luck everyone and be safe. I wish I could be out there but Disney is taking up the first week od the season.

there better be a ton of pics on this thread when I get back!

This is my first year of not hunting or fishing or trapping since I was 12 :( I just didn't have the 100+ bucks to donate this year. Best wishes to all you sportsmen out there. Hunt safe. I still might get the urge to buy a license, its just not Thanksgiving without a morning hunt.

I sat from sun up to sundown today.

Only saw 1 doe. Yearling.

Going out tomorrow for another all day-er. I'll be in my summit though, ALOT more comfortable.

Back