OUCH im still crying

Spyogenes

so i get back from being gone on internships for 6 months, excited to see my beloved nanoreef only to find that the "friend" that said he would love to kil..ummm errr take care of it managed to kill everything in the tank, yes EVEN THE LIVE ROCK and sand!! so sad to see it go!! I had even managed to keep and maintain a maxima clam in it as well!! How can someone do that after getting cash to care for it and hands on instruction as well as written instruction too?!?! Thoughts from you all on what I should do with things? I would love to start up again but think I will be moving soon in another 6 months. This is just a heartbreaker!!

That really sucks and I'd be dissapointed but not really surprised. I don't have any friends I'd trust to take care of my tank for months on end even if I left instructions and paid them...I'd probably be more inclinded to hire a professional who'd bear some responsibility for a total tank crash.

yeah he has experiance and was really eager to do it thats what sucked about this. Should have asked if one of the lfs owners i knew would have taken care of it for me while i was gone. thoughts about what to do with the rock and sand? i woulndt mind starting up again but i dk how soon i will

well all you would have to do is re-seed with a couple pieces of live rock to get your rock and sand going again.

Or if you wanted to wait until you moved, you could ask a fellow reefer to throw your rock in his/her tank for a few months and let it become live again.

I agree in that I think all your rock has become in essence is "uncured". Just rinse it through with saltwater and place it back and let it cycle, you should be ready to use it in a few weeks I would think.

Back