Our 1st Casualty (Diamond Goby)

NickBee

I got home tonight after lights out. I turned on the room lights to so some evening maintenance (top off sump, clean out skimmer) and noticed my diamond goby swimming erratically. He was looping around and bumping into things. I’ve never seen him do this before, but I figured it might be some type of strange nighttime behavior. I took a shower, looked at the tank again and he was stuck to the overflow. At least I was able to remove him before he became an ammonia / nitrate factory.

Now this goby was shy at 1st. He was in hiding the 1st week we had him and It took him about 3 weeks before he ate with the group. His belly never looked “full” and always seemed to be caved in a bit. I’ve read that gobies are subject to parasitic worms. Is it possible that was his issue? Should I try another or get a small army of nas snails to keep my sand tidy?

Diamond gobys as well as some other fish get their nutrition by sifting the sand. I would suggest that overtime he has depleated the natural food from your sand bed that he needed to survive. Over the course of time as the sand bed depleated he became mal-nourished and basically starved to death.

mmmm,, the sand bed was newish when we got him (but he did sift it nicely). But he did eat frozen mysis and pellets (and even scraps of nori) after he was in the tank for 3 weeks. But again, his belly never looked "full"...

Back