Overflow box help

firerock

Hi Greg,

First of all, great articles! Info like yours are truly helpful to newbies like me. :D

After reading about sump info, I'mthinking about adding one to my tank. There are 2concerns that I have about sump and I hope you can help me out.

I'm not a handy man at all, so I decide to get an over the counter overflow box from CPR. It ranks the flow rate about 800GPH. From your article, I would need a return flow that will match the drain rate. But, the Mag 9.5 return float for 4' is 850GPH. Will that cause any problem to my setup? I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is very hard to match extactly the drain & return rate. If drain rate is higher than return rate, what would happen? And what about the situation if my return rate is higher than the drain rate? Also, I've been to many LFS and heard many dreadful siphoning sound. How can I avoid that with the hang on back overflow box?

My second question is that how does the air pump avoiding the break up of siphon? I've seen a airpump design that will prevent the problem, but how does that work? Is it a reliable solution to break up siphoning? I've read many horror stories about overflowing display tank due to the problem. I can't imagine how mad my wife will be if that happens to me.
:(

Thank you very much for your help. I can't wait to hear from you so I can setup my sump.

Thanks,
Andy

Back