Overflow filter question

SoCalSURFrider

I was wondering if I can use a Eshopps PF-1000 (900gph) overflow filter on my 200g tank? Maybe even use 2 of them... Im not sure... Need some advice for this one. I will also be running 2 Mag Drive 7 pumps (700gph)....

People have had a lot of problems with the Eshoppes. They have some design problems. Do yourself a favor and get a Lifereef. They are extremely reliable overflows.

Question about Lifereef, are their overflow boxes just as safe as built-in overflows? And if you have a silencer, are they as quiet? And if it doesn't have silencer, can it be noisy?

Lifereef is as safe as a siphon overflow gets. Many people have run them for years on end with no issue. HOB overflows will be noisier than an internal overflow, but if set up right, and you dont go overboard with too much flow, they are very quiet.

The design problems are too shallow a skimmer box, too high a baffle, too short a U Tube. This causes a low differential between the front and rear water height which cases a weak siphon. Many people have had problems with these overflows maintaining siphon.

lifereef is bullet proof but if your pumps are stronger than the allowable overflow put a ball valve in line on the return pump hose so you can adjust the return flow

The only way this overflow is going to lose siphon is if I pick the U tube up or reduce flow enough to trap air bubbles in it.
No problems so far,I do have a high water switch just incase.
But I've turned off the system many times and had no problems.

Stingy, that is great. I'm glad yours is working well for you. The problem is, many people have not had that luck with it. A siphon works by the difference in height between the high side and the low side. The greater the distance, the stronger the siphon. The Eshoppes is not designed to have a strong siphon and it has caused problems for several RC members. The LR has a much better design, and is well known to be extremely reliable.

As far as the cost, goes, its a very important piece of equipment, and is very inexpensive in the cost of setting up a tank. Money well spent.

Well,I think we can both agree that nothing would be better than RR.I just hope this overflow works well until I can go that route.
Maybe some folks try to drop the inner box lower than it has to be and this leads to loss of siphon.I can say one thing about Eshopps.They send absolutely no instuctions at all in the box.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12232253#post12232253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
The design problems are too shallow a skimmer box, too high a baffle, too short a U Tube. This causes a low differential between the front and rear water height which cases a weak siphon. Many people have had problems with these overflows maintaining siphon.

I have a Lifereef on my 75, and it has been running for over 5 years. In that whole time it has never lost its siphon ( excluding me pulling it out on purpose ). I have the silencer on it, fairly quiet over all, but RR is quieter.

As for the Eshopps one.... Have one on my 29, and really wish I would have spent the money and gotten another Lifereef. I had to modify the U-Tube so that it wouldn't loose its siphon when I turned off the main pump. And it wasn't because I set it up wrong, it isn't designed properly. Before I take my vacation I am going to get another Lifereef to replace it. Just don't feel comfortable leaving it for an extended period of time.

When it comes to piece of mind (( and not having my sump run dry, or having my tank flood my floor )) the money for a Lifereef is beyond worth it.

I am not a big fan of overflow boxes. Mainly due to my eshops u-tuber for the same reasons sjm817 mentioned.

If you have to get a box then a lifereef is the only one to get. I would look into having the tank drilled and silicone in some acrylic boxes.

Its an important piece of equipment that is a big problem if it fails. for a 200G, you could go with 2 singles or one double.

BTW, if this is a new tank that is not set up yet, I would drill it.

"I had to modify the U-Tube so that it wouldn't loose its siphon when I turned off the main pump"

Makes me wonder if there hasn't been a design change already.
I have the 800 GPH one and I just can't see how it could lose siphon.The ends of the tube stay a good inch and a half under the waterline.But,thanks for the heads up on this product.

Water has to run against gravity in any siphon set up and is more subject to failure than a drilled tank. Having stated the obvious , I have used U tube overflows for years without problems on several tanks. I prefer to use two on the notion that two siphon breaks are not likely concurrently. You need to maintain enough return to ensure good flow to each ,if you use two. If the flow is too low ,air can build up in the U tube and break the siphon.

Back