Overflow question

Danzig

45 gallon cube tank. Inside the black overflow cover there is glass the same glass thickness as tank that reinforces the backside of overflow. Is this glass necessary? I ask because overflow cover is cracked, and also i would like to drill another overflow hole and current overflow is too small for another hole. Ideally would like to get rid of overflow cover and glass behind it, then drill another hole and build new larger custom black overflow without any glass reinforcement behind it. Its just a 45 gallon cube, i wouldnt think the reinforcement is necessary but want to be sure. Thoughts and experiences? IMG_9441.jpg
IMG_9440.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the thickness of the new overflow you might not need the reinforcement of glass. I wouldn't use anything less than 1/4 inch. I tried to build a sump and used 1/8 inch for baffles and all of them flexed, than gave out haha. If you're redoing the overflow, you might consider a "coast to coast" that spans the whole length of the tank. Maybe with an additional support place perpendicular every 6inches or so.

Depending on the thickness of the new overflow you might not need the reinforcement of glass. I wouldn't use anything less than 1/4 inch. I tried to build a sump and used 1/8 inch for baffles and all of them flexed, than gave out haha. If you're redoing the overflow, you might consider a "coast to coast" that spans the whole length of the tank. Maybe with an additional support place perpendicular every 6inches or so.

Thanks so much for the input, why do you recommend an overflow across the whole back? What advantage would it give me? To me i see only less space for livestock if i did that even though its only a small space being taken up.

No dead flow corners or awkward spaces and it'll skim the full surface of the tank. No film on the top. But its just a suggestion not a reccomendation.

Back