Overflow Slot Lengthening

JiveWalker

In my 90 AGA corner overflow, it seems like the water level is slightly above the top of the overflow slots, so surface skimming does not seem to be happening correctly. Can I just lenthen the slots upwards, or will there be a negative effect? Is there a way to do this while the tank is up and running? Will hall the debris just get sucked into the overflow and caught up in the mechanical media, or is there a trick? Thanks for anybodys help.

Brian

Its brittle. I think you might be pushing too much water through the overflow. The weirs (slots) are adequate for a 90g.

You are looking for 270-450gph. Your pump does 2x that.

Its brittle. I think you might be pushing too much water through the overflow. The weirs (slots) are adequate for a 90g.

You are looking for 270-450gph. Your pump does 2x that.

Thanks for the advice. At 4' head the pump is rated around 529gph. Do you think that is too much and do you think a simple valve would work too slow it down a little? I hate to decrease the flow any as it seems good, just wanted to increase the surface skimming by cutting the slots upwards about 1/4" more.

Better to put a valve on the pump.
I've tried cutting the slots & it is a *****.

Apprciate everyones advice, I'm going to place a valve in the line as recommended. I must admit, I'm tempted to try and use a soldering iron and melt instead of cut. Maybe someday if im feeling risky. Thanks again for the input.

Back