Ozone post filtration

Crowed

-Is using activated carbon only method of removing ozone by-products from water? Could be (safely) do it without or somehow else?

-How much is important to filtrate ozonized water right away if there is a ac filtration elswhere in a system(like sump reactor)?, then water will be filtrate anyway and ozone byproducts like bromate can not accumulate?

I always ran ozone through the skimmer and had carbon on the skimmer air outflow. Measuring and dosing by an ORP meter allowed for small doses of ozone.

I don't know but I run Ozone full blast with no controller or carbon and have been for about 40 years. No problems yet but I do have a 5' skimmer that would use up any residual Ozone. Don't know about bromine.

Thank you for replies guy, similiar answer i also got from one well know german manufacturer of ozone devices and it seems that ours small hobby units are relatively safe and activated carbon is not absolutely necessary, at least not with smaller ozone dosages, but i still wonder what happen with bromate?, is there other ways to remove it beside activated carbon and water changes?

I don't know but I run Ozone full blast with no controller or carbon and have been for about 40 years. No problems yet but I do have a 5' skimmer that would use up any residual Ozone. Don't know about bromine.
How much mg/h of ozone do you use? Did it destroy some of equipment what you use with it over all that years?

Now I have been using 50 mg/hr of Ozone but for about 35 years I used 100 mg/hr. I have not destroyed any equipment yet but I built my 5' skimmer to be ozone resistant. You do have to use ozone resistant tubing because vinyl tubing won't last long at all.

Ime silicone tubing show pretty good but it is said that ozone attack everything and over time will degrade and destroy every contact material. Thats way i ask you about it, im glad to hear that you use it safely all that years and will sleep better knowing that all expensive equipement will stay in one piece even after a long term exposure. Its a rare oportunity to see and learn from decades old saltwater tank (y)(y)

PVC, silicone and nylon are also Ozone resistant
Nylon fittings from Home Depot failed at about 6 months and simply crumbled. Silicone and PVC have been fine.
I had to upgrade the nylon fittings I originally used to build my system.

There is a many kinds of nylon that way you have a different experiences with it, but in any case is not a best choice for ozone hose (and there is also a fluorocarbon aka viton hoses if someone prefer a fancy things)
Paul what kind of skimmer you run, airstone? There wasnt needlewheels back then i guess, and probably would not work with such height anyway. Did you change/upgrade it over time? Its a rare to see someone who did not change skimmer device even for a much shorter period, many people in reefing like to join a new hype and goes from cylinder to cone, and back ...

Paul what kind of skimmer you run, airstone? There wasnt needlewheels back then i guess, and probably would not work with such height anyway. Did you change/upgrade it over time? Its a rare to see someone who did not change skimmer device even for a much shorter period, many people in reefing like to join a new hype and goes from cylinder to cone, and back ...
I built this thing many years ago. I don't know, maybe 20. It is a DIY (obviously) and has a DIY venturi that costs about a buck to build.
I also use an air pump because the 5' tall device is to tall to suck enough air down to the venturi. The Ozone doesn't seem to bother it and the thing is connected to a drain so I never have to empty it amd I never had to modify or fix it.

I did used to make counter current skimmers in the 70s and sold a bunch of them to a LFS.

This is the venturi.

And it's parts.

I make carbon filters like this one to put on lid holes for air filtration. Little smaller than your skimmer but works great for skimmate smell and excess ozone. Mine skimmer pump takes air from lid so ozone do not escape in surrounding air as much as in some other designs and good part of it, if not destroyed, get recirculate into skimmer again, but still filter is there to catch rest and as safety :
IMG-20230120-WA0002.jpg

I make carbon filters like this one to put on lid holes for air filtration. Little smaller than your skimmer but works great for skimmate smell and excess ozone. Mine skimmer pump takes air from lid so ozone do not escape in surrounding air as much as in some other designs and good part of it, if not destroyed, get recirculate into skimmer again, but still filter is there to catch rest and as safety :
View attachment 32378439
Hey can you please describe how you made this?

If you do not have access to mill or lathe machine (cutting ring for tube seat is tricky) then best way to doing it would be to use pvc as we already use around reef tank. Cut tube and put cap on both side, top drill one larger hole or just leave it open and bottom cap drill holes size as your lid hole and glue small tube there. That tube will hold it on to lid, but you can even make it remote and put somewhere inside cabinet, then you can connect multiple tubes to it. I make air silencer like that from larger 2" tube. And some smaller ozone dryer or co2 scruubber can be made into carbon post filter too

In online magazine about ozone (reefkeeping) i read that denitrification process can lower bromate. So probably that happen in tank without activated carbon, or animals we keep are not too sensitive to produced amounts. Anyway, it seems that carbon filter/reactor elsewhere in system also work, no matter if not directly on skimmer output (i bet that most diy designs like bag near outlet tube alow a bigger part of water escape unfiltered in single pass).

Bromides are indisputably formed during ozonation, and the more ozone, the more bromides: this is noted in almost every serious book (Sprung and Delbeek, Boreman, etc.). If someone says that ozone did not interfere with him, this is not a scientific, but a subjective statement. It's like saying I've been smoking for 40 (50, 60) years and I don't have cancer (this doesn't prove that smoking doesn't cause cancer)! The issue of bromide disposal remains open and I join the author of the article, what to do with them?

Back