PAB 6 bar burning outlets

jonwright

So I've had ProfiLuxs in various forms for years so a I'm a fan. I'm averaging about one melted socket every few months - the neutral pole. I've a spare bar and replaced sockets and the relays appear to working fine. The source electronic seems fine as well with no blown fuses or otherwise obvious issue (besides replacing the plug because it has melted plastic from the socket).

Anything I need to examine? I'm not overloading the bars or sockets with 3x 250 watt Mh light spread across them and other loads evenly spaced not approaching 1k watts even.

They are mounted horizontally. Possible the cables are tugging on the plug and causing this??? The cables are generally coiled on a shelf directly below so they aren't hanging. What's surprising to me is that it's the neutral pole that burns.

Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents. MH's often have much greater starting amperage draw then their running amperage draw. Some 250w ballasts can draw as much as 5.2 amps on startup while the bulbs are warming up. If you start all the lights at one time, you could very well be overloading the capabilities of the PAB. Take a look at table 3 on the link below and particularly the column for Lamp Starting Current. My suggestion would be to start the lights one at a time and allow 5 minutes between the startup of each.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

Back