Paint for inside a stand

orion251

I used RocketEngineer's plans for a stand for my 65g w/20g sump build. I added 1"x3" strips along the edges of the floor and caulked them so all spills would be contained. What type of paint should I use to cover the inside of the stand to help "waterproof" it? Will regular latex work or should I use something else?

I worked as a painter full time painter to put myself though college, my opinion is that latex has come a LONG way esp in the last 10 years or so and should work fine. That having been said, if your willing to put up with the hassles oil will still do a better job and stand up better in the long run. Primer is a good idea too. Too many people skip primers, on a stand a spray on primer like Zinsser Bin would work well.

What material is the stand? If its wood you can stain and seal, good chance that will hold up even better.

Last edited:
I've painted the insides of a few stands with high-quality exterior latex paint from a real paint store and it's held up to years of salt spray just fine. I certainly wouldn't want it in an application that I expected to be wet, or needed to be waterproof. If that was the case, I'd probably use spar urethane or epoxy.

You mentioned that you already caulked the seams. What did you caulk them with? You're pretty much locked in to something that will be compatible with the caulk you used at this point.

To a certain extent, if you're talking straight paint products. There's really no such thing as a "primer" that will let a brittle coating (i.e. epoxy) work over a flexible caulk.

I am not concerned with aesthetics. All I want to do is protect the plywood floor that the sump will be sitting on. The caulk I used was a latex, paintable caulk. I don't really care if the paint over the caulk cracks or chips since it will be inside the stand with a 20g sump covering most of it.

To a certain extent, if you're talking straight paint products. There's really no such thing as a "primer" that will let a brittle coating (i.e. epoxy) work over a flexible caulk.

By virtue of that argument your saying you can't paint over any caulking period when its rather common place. Paint/primer is almost universally going to cure to a more brittle state than a caulking but that hardly excludes one from painting over it. Were worried about adhesion when were talking about paint over caulk, not if its going to flake if abused.

Even still you be surprised, BIN even in a setting where is is movement or play with an under surface such as silicon/caulking etc. will hold up remarkably well.

orion251 said:
All I want to do is protect the plywood floor that the sump

The product I mentioned will work well for that, after all its a sealing primer. They have a latex product called 1-2-3 also that would work too but I prefer the BIN myself. You can find both at Home Depot and they even come as a spray can if you find that easiest. Wear gloves for the BIN, as its very high adhesion its also quite hard to get off your hands

I used oil based primer on mine and then a few coats of marine enamel over that. Works great and holds up to the lighting in canopies as well as any salt creep and etc. Have done all mine this way and even after a few yrs still look great.

By virtue of that argument your saying you can't paint over any caulking period when its rather common place. Paint/primer is almost universally going to cure to a more brittle state than a caulking but that hardly excludes one from painting over it. Were worried about adhesion when were talking about paint over caulk, not if its going to flake if abused.

Even still you be surprised, BIN even in a setting where is is movement or play with an under surface such as silicon/caulking etc. will hold up remarkably well.

Yes, this is all true when talking about PAINT. My point was that many people choose coatings other than paint for the interior of the stand (i.e. 2-part epoxy) which I would not trust to remain intact or water-tight in the longterm when applied over a flexible caulk or primer intended as a prep for paint.

I'm not trying to poke holes in your advice or start arguments here, just pointing out that having already applied caulk to the inside of the stand, the OP has ruled out some commonly used coatings. That's all. :)

Fair enough. I wasn't promoting the "best" option but rather options that would work well for most people. Balance of cost/ease/effective.

I would agree that your entirely right, a two part epoxy, marine intended enamel or even some lacquers/shellac might do a better job but that will also increase cost, work and expertise a fair bit. Even with products like that though you still risk "egg shelling" with the caulk, after all even steel with different hardness will produce such an effect.

Given the OP asked Latex vs. X I would argue suggesting two Part epoxy is like suggesting to the car consumer asking Honda vs X should get a Mercedes rather than say an Acura.

this might sound strange but i was a car body repair sprayer and i find that a good etch primer first to seal and then a good 2 coats of your desired colour and a coat of lacquer, it works great for me

Back