Paint or sealer for stand?

MrSkumFrog

Hello

I purchased a SC aquarium stand made out of plywood. The interior has a coat of either paint or a dark stain. I'm thinking about coating the interior with something else. What would you recommend? Should I use Kilz, flex seal or Marine grade paint? I just want to protect it from waster.

Thanks

Nate

I use a lot of polyurethane. Flex seal never hardens, which is why it's water proof. It is like flypaper - I'd never use it again. Kilz is for mold- I've used a lot of that too, in my basement fish room walls. Marine grade paint is expensive. Poly is your best bet - I've had stands painted with poly last decades.

I use a lot of polyurethane. Flex seal never hardens, which is why it's water proof. It is like flypaper - I'd never use it again. Kilz is for mold- I've used a lot of that too, in my basement fish room walls. Marine grade paint is expensive. Poly is your best bet - I've had stands painted with poly last decades.

Thanks WVfishguy!

What makes you think the current finish isn't sufficient?
All it takes is a few coats of any old paint or a stain/sealer and it should hold up just fine to some infrequent water splashes,etc...

So if you want to add more layers of paint.. Fine.. But don't get anything fancy/expensive.. Regular old latex paint is sufficient...

Back