Painting an aga stand and canopy

bigdog0598

I found a great deal on an aga stand and canopy but it's maple and really matches nothing in our place but I think it's laminate not wood and im not sure how painting it black would work if at all. Anyone have any recommendations? Or is painting it a big no no

Thanks ahead of time

Use spray paint. It will give you nice even coats plus it dries super fast. If u do spray paint it make sure you put a clear coat over it afterwards....

Yeah it will look good if you use a good roller to paint it with just like you would if you wanted to paint your walls. The reason for the oil based primer is that it will not flake off of the laminate where as if you used just regular primer it will flake, and the paint will just come off with it.

Ok awesome thanks guys! So you think it would look like painted wood then....if done well. I have a buddy who is really good with diy. Would you use spray paint or paint from a spray gun?

There are a couple of different primers that should adhere to the laminate. The products made by Zinsser are very good for youre application.

The 123 primer sticks to just about everything and is acrylic based. I would do a test area first though to be safe.

Zinsser also makes a shellac primer that has great adhesion to glossy surfaces. I would lightly sand and clean the area prior to priming.

Let the test area dry for a couple of days and then see if you can sratch it off. If it holds then you are all set for a top coat of enamel.

Dave (painting contractor)

I dont know if they carry them at Lowes or HD because I get them at Dunn Edwards. If you have access to a airless sprayer it will make the job alot easier. I would use oil based enamel for the top coat.

Dave

If you use an airless sprayer make sure you use a fine tip like a 4-11 and put a few light coats of paint instead of one heavy one (paint will sag or run if applied too heavy in colder temps).

Dave

I would have to see it first but probably around 220 or 180 grit. Anything rougher and you might see scratches on the finished product. It just needs a light sanding if its glossy. Can you do a sample on the back?

Dave

if it were me, i would use an shellac based primmer like binz sand with used 100 grit sandpaper and sand lightly dont press real hard just firm just, use a fine pile wizz roller handle & pad, and a good acrylic on top of that.
not sure if i would bother with a airless spray, you will wast alot of material for such a small project (UNLESS your stand is for a 300gal tank) so just brust and roll you can us a cheap chip brush and though it away when your dont

Back