pairing a perc and a maroon... yep i know im crazy

akbuuur

i had a perc, male and female but the female jumped out and was a nice little crisp :mad: but in anycase i have a big maroon clown in my 92 so i put her in the 10 gallon with the male and now they seem to be getting along like a normal male and female pair its only been one day but ill keep you all updated.

That would be very interesting if you were able to do that. Heck, they aren't even congeneras. I would only suspect that the possible hybrid would either have birth defects, infertility, or something else. But an Amphiprion percula and a Premnas biaculeatus would be an awesome hybridization. But then there will be a similar controversy with these like Blood Parrots have.

haha check this my fire fish jumped in to my overflow box went up the syphon tube then jumped over the baffle in the overflow and then into the bulkhead area and stayed there for a day alive and i found him about a hour ago and threw him back into my main tank

but back to the clowns, it seems as if though the female is giving him the usual "who's your mommy" behavior
hes trying to go near but not she does get defensive

A large female maroon will very probably attack/kill your perc when she settles down, right now she's stressed from being moved.

A pairing between a female maroon and a male perc/ocellaris can and has worked. I have owned several pairs like this and never had issues with over agressive females. I have found that a tiny ocellaris's submission dance is very similar to that of a tiny maroon and I think this is thee reason it seems to work.

Check out the "Cocoa Clown" it is a hybrid between a black Ocellaris and a maroon. Interestingly I believe these guys are fertile, meaning that they "techniquely" are the same species...kinda gets you wondering doesn't it :)

At any rate good luck and if they do spawn for you they will grow to look like some gigantic perc/ocellaris.

Colby

>>I have owned several pairs like this and
>>never had issues with over agressive females.

I don't believe you.

>>I have owned several pairs like this and
>>never had issues with over agressive females.

My questions :

Are the pairs still intack? alive?

If not, why?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7560834#post7560834 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akbuuur
a pessimist maybe?

No no,, I'm a hopeless optimist, but Colby making that statement gives the impression to the reader that such a pairing is easy, common and risk-free.

Whether or not I may think he's full of it, I think a newB reading that statement is getting bad advice,,, advice that will likely result in dead fish.

yea in anycase if the maroon starts to go over board ill put her back in to her 92 and leave the perc in the nano

There are a number of confirmed pairings between premnas and percula/ocellaris. LD-Industries has successfully bred them, I don't know about the fertility of the offspring.

I don't think you're crazy,,, as long as you keep an eye on things then go for it,,,, I have no reason to doubt that you'll look after your fish if things go tits-up.

If it was me, I'd use a big perc and a baby maroon,,, I think the chances of success would be higher. IMO a good GSM is the best looking of all the clownfish,, but boy,, those females can be terrors.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7564136#post7564136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dantodd
There are a number of confirmed pairings between premnas and percula/ocellaris. LD-Industries has successfully bred them, I don't know about the fertility of the offspring.

I'm not questioning the viability, just the risks involved. It's not easy, or everyone would be doing it.

Lol...wow nice to see I have so many believers here..jk.

Seriously though before you flatly accuse me of lying a little Q and A is in line don't you think? Who is to say I am necessarily a "newbie"? Moreover I never said a pairing of his manner is risk free, however using a little common sense can significantly reduce the chance of failure, and the statement...

--"If it was me, I'd use a big perc and a baby maroon,,, I think the chances of success would be higher."

...clearly indicates a lack of "common sense."

While many of you may not think it possible to have a succesful long term relationship between a maroon and an Ocellaris look at the facts on hand and the personalities of the fish involved.

We know that in general female maroons are the bad boys of clown world where as the Ocellaris tend to be (again I stress TEND TO BE...) the pansies who are just as happy to aquiesce.

As long as someone uses common sense and observes carefully this sort of pairing has many things going in its favor that others interspecific pairings simply do not.

For example maroons and Ocellaris have similar body shapes and striping scheme. This immediately puts them in at an advantage to get along, I mean if a chrys and a sandaracinos will choose each other and breed why do you find it so hard to believe two similar looking fish could do the same? Furthermore unlike other known hybrids, Biaculateus and Ocellaris have a very very similar agression/submission dance...

The best chance of a succesful pairing of this manner (IME) is by introducing a LARGE female maroon with a SMALL male Ocellaris (I have not found maroon/perc pairings to be as smooth as frequently the percs are much more stubborn than the Ocellaris, again all IME.)into a neutral territory WITH NO ANEMONES.

Juck, putting a large perc/ocellaris with a smaller marron doesn't make much sense considering the personalities of the fish. Have you ever raised marrons? The little snots are terrors even when they are barely half an inch long so what would make you think a marron will give into a fish that is anything less than overly dominering as the female maroons are so prone to be?

Akbuur, I wish you the best of luck and it sounds like your well on your way to a successful maroon/perc pair :)

Colby

Back