Pairing up clowns

bigjon23

Im a noob in the SW so be easy on me. I have been in freshwater puffers for a while there, so I not a total fish noob.

Now to the question. I have a false percula. He has been in my tank for about 3 weeks now, doing very well. Can I add another clownfish into my tank and have them potentially pair up? What are my restrictions on the type of clown? I would really like to get a black and white.

By the way, its a 24 gallon Nano Cube DX with stock lighting.

As a rule of thumb I would say that if you have a false perc and want it to pair up then it would have to be another false perc. You may have luck with a captive breed black clown being social with the false perc but they shouldnt pair up. Most different clown breeds wont let other species of clown in the same tank. I have two different pairs of clowns in my 135g. False percs and skunk clowns. They didnt get along at first but they do now. But that is enough tank that they are not stuck close to each other. If you want to pair yours up I would suggest either getting one that is twice the size of your current one or half the size. The large one should become the female and the smaller one will become a sexually active male. They should start to swim together with in a short period of time. Good luck and we love pics.:)

I'd recommend getting another false perc that's half the size or smaller as your current one.

If you want a black and white, I'd say find a new home for the false perc and get a pair of blacks (again, making sure one is much smaller than the other - I already learned my lesson on that one)

A false perc species is Amphiprion ocellaris
The black and white clown fish you often see most is still Amphiprion ocellaris. They are the same species they should be fine and have the same chance to pair up as two orange false percs.

Don't mix two different species of clown in a tank of that size.
So avoid a "black onyx" clown fish it a true perc.

Read the stickies in the clown fish forum for good info.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11659329#post11659329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by racecaraz
A false perc species is Amphiprion ocellaris
The black and white clown fish you often see most is still Amphiprion ocellaris. They are the same species they should be fine and have the same chance to pair up as two orange false percs.

Don't mix two different species of clown in a tank of that size.
So avoid a "black onyx" clown fish it a true perc.

Read the stickies in the clown fish forum for good info.

Wow, news to me. Good info :)

Back