Pairing up two single crosshatch triggers - possible?

delphinus

If a single crosshatch trigger lived for a while so that you knew it was a male or female ... could you at a later date get one of the opposite gender and maybe they'd get along? Or is it a recipe for fighting once one has established a territory and a newcomer comes along?

Just curious...

wet thumb

I bought a pair and the male died. I got another male and after introducing him, he beat the snot out of the female. I put egg crate in the tank to separate the two of them, my wife called it jail for the wife beater. I kept them like this for about two months and then reintroduced them. They have been getting along well every since, they do seem to have bonded. The female will show aggression to any new fish introduced. So to answer your question, yes you can pair them up.

wet thumb

They are not very aggressive. The female showed some aggression when I introduced an annulus angel. This lasted about two weeks and now everyone seems to get along. She will also clear at an area under some rocks and protect this area. I have seen her fight with a large red hermit I have.

delphinus

How big is your tank? My last hesitation with this fish is their max size... I have a 280g tank ready to go and am considering this fish for that tank. The likelihood of a size upgrade is "very-slim to non" as long as I live in my current house due to space limitations. Good idea or bad idea?

Is there anything you've found you can't keep because of keeping these guys?

mark0933

I've got a pair (purchased that way, so can't comment on your first Q), but honestly I would not feel a pair would do well in a 280, mine are constantly on the move, and are large active fish, which need all of the 720G mine are in.

A single in a 280 would be OK, but a pair would be excessive in my opinion.

Mark

wet thumb

I have a 10 foot long 300g FOWLR. They are a great pair, the male is about 9" and the female is about 7.5 " I have a 10" Mineatous grouper, 6" annulus angel, 5" emperor angel, 12" golden puffer, 6 " blond naso tang. I have had the crosshatch pair about a year. The tank needs more fish but unsure what to add. I would like another angel but am worried upsetting the balance. Also thought about a large Harlequin Tusk. I am sure I can keep them for many years in this set up. I did have a large 12"+ Lion that I sold about 6 months ago. No problems with any of the fish interacting accept when I first introduced the Male Crosshatch and again when I introduced the Annulus angel. Go for it.

wet thumb

WOW Mark, didn't see your post until I posted mine. I must be lucky as my pair seem to be fairly comfortable. Maybe it is the low bio load I have giving them lots of room.

delphinus

Ok yeah sounds good. I'll strike the idea of a pair, and think long and hard about a single one as well for that matter (tank is only 6').

There's a wee little 3" one at the LFS right now, which is what begat all this wondering on my part. The price is remarkable which is another reason (usually these things fetch 2-3 times as much). Although he ("he" .. "she" .. who knows) has not passed QT yet at the store.

Hey, quick question. Is it true that the bluechin triggers are actually bigger (max size to max size) than the crosshatches? .. Just doing some reading here and while I thought the crosshatch max size was huge at, what is it, about 12", I read that bluechins are more like 16" max size?? I guess bluechins are totally out too then, for me...

vamaro

I have a pair of cross-hatch triggers, both about 7 inches. Mine are not super active, like say a sohal tang. But they do enjoy swimming and getting in front of the power heads. I have a 220 and they seem to have plenty of room. My were sold as a pair. However, I really do not know where they came from. The male still hammers on the female at night once in a while. But that lasts about 5 min. Then they hang out together. My female is slightly bigger then my male.

Hawaiirob

I have a pair of cross-hatch triggers, both about 7 inches. Mine are not super active, like say a sohal tang. But they do enjoy swimming and getting in front of the power heads. I have a 220 and they seem to have plenty of room. My were sold as a pair. However, I really do not know where they came from. The male still hammers on the female at night once in a while. But that lasts about 5 min. Then they hang out together. My female is slightly bigger then my male.

what do you mean by "hammers"? Sexually? Anyway, I see xhatch triggers in the wild all the time and I can tell you that it's really hard to distinguish whether they are a pair or just a male and a female because usually you see several males and females in the same realatively small area. As for sizing, your 280gal tank should be good for any xhatch 8 1/2" or smaller. After they hit 6" their growth slows down dramatically so don't worry about the fish outgrowing your tank overnight. I would get a pair. They are a very hardy fish and add great color to a tank.