Paly toxin advice

Sberry

Hi all, just trying to clarify some information or concerns about paly toxins I have read about.
I work in the science department of a school with a few large aquariums, one of which is a reef tank. These get professionally maintained so I have minimal knowledge of the corals and don't do any serious maintenance like fragging or cleaning inside the tank itself.
We have quite a few bunches of zoa as per the picture below, and was wondering if this was a concern? Is this a type that produce larger amounts of the toxin? The kids certainly aren't putting their hand in the tank (I mean it's possible, their kids, but unlikely). Anything else to be thinking about with these in the tank?
Thank you!

20230307_110318.jpg

Those look like nuclear green palythoas, which I believe are known to have paly toxin. It’s honestly difficult to know which ones carry the toxin, which ones don’t, and the actual toxicity. The way I understand it, is as long as they aren’t bothered, you should be good. What I mean is fragging, accidentally crushed, etc…can (not necessarily will) release the toxin but is,based on my understanding, only toxic if you have an open wound (small cut, scrape, etc). This is based what I have read and some information may not be 110% accurate

Reiterating Reefing102's point, there really is no way to determine which animals are making palytoxin and which are not. Palytoxin has been a round a while ;) but really didn't get much attention until jargon about "cooking" (when quarantining is what is meant) was taking literally by newbies who boiled rock unintentionally aerosolizing the toxin which is thermostable. The toxin is actually made by a genus if dinoflagellates and is found in many other animals than just pallies or zoas. Most individuals are poisoned from eating contaminated sea food, ie ciguatera poisoning. Palytoxin isn't absorbed through the skin but can be abosrbed into cuts, ingested or inhaled if aerosolized by cutting or drilling or heated. Here's some links if you're interested:

Agreed there have not been many studies to know which ones have them or in what amounts.
I got it once just a little because I got some in my eye. Back then we did not know the dangers.
I also knew someone who's dog drank the water in a bucket that housed them and died.

Is there concerns? Absolutely but if you take care there should not be any issue.
Use gloves and a face mask when fragging or cutting. Wash your hands or anything that touched them.
Do not drink the water. Do not eat them, Do not boil or heat them. Beware of cuts when working with them.
If you have younger children probably stay away.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!
Interestingly, there are some people around the web saying no one has ever got serious issues or there's no proof of a death, and yet there are a few news reports or scientific reports of deaths and serious toxic reactions. (Not saying people should freak out about them, just an observation is all)
Anyway, it seems it should be ok to leave as is. I will have a chat to our aquarium service people about their procedures, but I don't think we need to remove them entirely from the tank.

Again, thanks for your time in replying.

I've been handling xoas and palies for decades, often with nicks and scratches and not had issues. But most of the nicks and scratches have been from wrestling with my cats so I'm therorizing toxoplasmosis inparts some kind on counter agent.

Back