Par38 User Question

vwtanker

What type of fixtures are people using for par38s. I want to set some up on my nano and other possible tanks. I have been looking for good fixtures. I know they take a e26 socket that can handle 21watts, and was thinking of building my own fixture. I have searched a lot and I think my problem is that there are to many options out there.
So if anyone could point me to what there using I would appreciate it.

I used 9 PAR 30/38s over my 125:

HalloweenandfishtankLEDs024-1.jpg

HalloweenandfishtankLEDs025.jpg

HalloweenandfishtankLEDs026.jpg

HalloweenandfishtankLEDs027.jpg

If I had a canopy that would be great. I am kinda looking for a slick looking pendent I could screw the bulbs into. Something Could hang from the ceiling or mount onto the side of the tank. I want to do the top of the tank completely open so it can be walked around and looked down into as well as from the sides.

Can any e26 socket be used? Or do I have to worry about amperage draw and wattage?

I believe any e26/e27 socket. I just went to HD and bought some conduit. I bought a spotlight articulating socket fixture and the fitting to attach that socket to the conduit. I also grabbed a pipe bender to put a nice sweep on the conduit. We'll see!!!

I looked around at different floor lamps but the only one I was interested in was $60 and would need to be highly modified for it to work the way I want it to.

Mounting on the side of the tank will be a problem and most likely unsafe. Look for ceiling pendants that use e26/e27 sockets and that do not cover the bulb(or has removeable covers).

I will mount 3/4" conduit to the back of the stand. I will then drill some holes in the 3/4" and in a segment of 1/2" conduit. The 3/4" will act as a sleeve and the holes will allow vertical adjustment. With the appropriate fittings I have, I will be able to screw on the "non-shaded" e26 socket fixture into conduit and the P38 into socket. The wiring will be routed in the conduit and I will attach a male end plug to it. Paint it and done.

Jacwil, that sounds like a great option. Its what I was considering if I don't hang them all the way from the ceiling. I just couldn't think of how to do it. I'll have to look into the conduit.
Did the e26 sockets you picked have wattage ratings?
And defiantly post it or pm me when your done I'd like to see it. You could start a build tread if you haven't already.

This is a pic I took last night after putting it together a tiny bit.
1205001834.jpg

Obviously I still need to put a sweeping bend in the conduit but you can see the connection there. I will look again but I didn't see any ratings on that socket. Honestly, I repeatedly see that the P38's "...will fit in ANY e26/27 socket, so hopefully I'm good to go.

I'll have to see but I'm curious how much room the wire will take up in the 1/2" conduit. As I said I want to be able to adjust the conduit vertically so I have to consider how the wire will react to that adjustment...there will have to be some slack obviously and I don't want it to get kinked up when adjusting. I'm thinking, once I find the correct/appropriate height, I won't have to move it again.

If you go to HD they have 3-4 bulb track lighting systems. You can build a frame out of pvc and mount it to that. Probably not as slick as you are looking for but works great.

You could pull the slack out of the base of the conduit where it can't be seen. That should keep it from kinking and allow you to adjust it back up if needed.

It makes sense that the socket should handle a 21watt led if it can handle 100 watt incandescent and CFL bulbs right.

All sockets are rated for max wattage. I could not find any e26/e27 sockets rated for less than 40 watts max. You should have no problem with those. My run of the mill track lights are rated for 100 watts max.

Back