Part V: Everything You Need to Know About

kevinpo

Premium Member
Hi Sanjay,
Very well written and thorough! The Table 2. Aquarium Metal Halide Lamps and Their Recommended Ballasts as Specified by Manufacturers is very useful.

Best regards,
Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. We really need to tank Paul for willing to share the information he collected on the lamps.

sanjay.

using electronic ballast

using electronic ballast

Good article but not too much detail on electronic ballasts.

My first post and new to reef keeping. I have a pretty small tank 37g with a 11gallon refugium/sump and needed powerful lighting as research indicated. I decided to buy two 10K 175W MH bulbs and a dual bulb electronic ballast. It as so far done a very good job. In the week since I had it on more interesting stuff has been popping out of my live rock than I had with just the NO flouresent and 6 weeks. The MH are mounted about 11in from the water line. Calculating it its about 9.4 watts per gallon. The heat isn't too much of an issue, the ballast runs pretty cool and never had a problem starting up the bulbs. I would definately keep an eye out for electronic ballasts! I don't experience any interference, it runs fairly quiet, only noise is the fan cooling the ballast box. The two bulbs and electronic ballast was also an expensive route, $176 shipped.

Back