Particles removal

newreefer92

Good morning to some and good afternoon to others!!

My current 180 gallon system (120gal dt and 60 gal sump) has been up since December and growing like no other, there is one issue though. I can't seem to get my water crystal clear like so many of these amazing tanks I see, my tank instead half the time looks like a particle filled water column. I am wondering if my lfs recommendation of agragite and fiji pink sands was a mistake!! My question to the vast reef central population is how can I eradicate this issue!

Current equipment:

gfo and carbon reactor
UV sterilizer 50 watt emporer
bubble magus curve 7
dual drain filter socks
chiller
in sump return pump
x2 mp40's (these pumps are a 1/4 the way down where they do not disturb the sand)

If I need to remove sand then let me know what the best way is too do that!!

thanks for your time!!

Figi Sand cloudy water Diatom Filter Solution

Figi Sand cloudy water Diatom Filter Solution

:headwalls:
Good morning to some and good afternoon to others!!

My current 180 gallon system (120gal dt and 60 gal sump) has been up since December and growing like no other, there is one issue though. I can't seem to get my water crystal clear like so many of these amazing tanks I see, my tank instead half the time looks like a particle filled water column. I am wondering if my lfs recommendation of agragite and fiji pink sands was a mistake!! My question to the vast reef central population is how can I eradicate this issue!

Current equipment:

gfo and carbon reactor
UV sterilizer 50 watt emporer
bubble magus curve 7
dual drain filter socks
chiller
in sump return pump
x2 mp40's (these pumps are a 1/4 the way down where they do not disturb the sand)

If I need to remove sand then let me know what the best way is too do that!!

thanks for your time!!
I got suckered into buying this sand also. Great reviews on retail websites. Different story here. I have the same problem. Have had 3 XL Diatom filters running for about 18 hours so far. clears up but seems to come back. This is my second attempt. Tank has been running for a month. Interesting its almost impossible to get clear in a 5 gallon bucket. It seems this Figi Pink is a real issue with the hardcore SPS reef community since it entered the market. I probably should just bite the bullet and get rid of it. Never again. Lesson learned. Bottom line Would not take this stuff if they paid me.

Any chance it could just be micro bubbles from filtration, since it's only a problem some of the time? Droping waterlevel in the sump perhaps? That or something in your tank like a wave cycle on the MP40s or some tank in habitant is "stirring up trouble" from time to time.

I am going through Same thing right now with Fiji pink junk!! I just bought a fuvalx6 to try to clear it up, going on 3 months and tank looks like crap, the x6 is running about 15 hours and tank looks 10x better already

I am going through Same thing right now with Fiji pink junk!! I just bought a fuvalx6 to try to clear it up, going on 3 months and tank looks like crap, the x6 is running about 15 hours and tank looks 10x better already

I just bought 40 lbs of the Carib Sea Fiji pink for my new 65g setup. Do you have the same brand as me....is there a difference?? Do you know why it's causing problems?? My LFS said not to rise it....just dump it in the way it is. I guess the real question is....is it just the name brand...or is it Fiji Pink itself??

What would you recommend as an alternative?? Please advise since I am only a week away from adding the sand.

Back