Pectina corals, let's see some

ynot65

Let's see some pectina pics

In my endless search for the "wildest" most colorful coral, I've come across the pectina corals. It looks like I may select a "space invaders" version. These corals are difficult to find in their crazier colors. Below is a couple of examples I've found, not mine. I know we've got some members with some nice ones so let's see them.
This is the, space invaders

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
I've had one, but slowly over a year faded and shrunk...I really love them but don't know others who have had it long term?
They seem difficult to keep

I'm starting to believe this. I've had this posted on a couple of forums and you're the first responder. What was the placement of yours ? How much flow ? Food if any ?

I'm starting to believe this. I've had this posted on a couple of forums and you're the first responder. What was the placement of yours ? How much flow ? Food if any ?

I tried different placements from low to medium...flow from low to medium also...
My good friend owns a LFS, and he once in a while gets superb pieces, large sizes with color and with time we see the tips start to lose color, and slowly the piece fades, forcing him to start fragging the colonies.

I'm not sure if the pieces we get come from the wild, and they just don't do well in aquariums?
I would love to learn more about them like yourself, and wish they were as easy to care as their cousins, chalices.
Here's a pic of the species I usually see that impresses me the most due to an almost black contrasting with insane green

My space invader pectina. Good flow, direct feedings of brine, mysis & pellets once a week or so. Grown from a small frag under Mitras LEDs.

i-2qjq6Tx-L.jpg

Not at home so can't get a close up shot but here is ours (circled in red) not one of the crazy cool colored ones like was just posted but we like it. We've had for about 1.5 years and seems to be an easy keeper but relatively slow grower. Medium flow and light and do not specifically target feed it.

Pectinia.jpg

I would love to get one of those fancy ones. mine is doing great so far in my softie/lps tank. does add some color to my tank.

Attachments

• DSC_4545_0417_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_4545_0417_edited-1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
Here is a picture of two pectinia I have--the first is in the bottom middle of my old mixed reef tank setup. I have both in my mostly sps system now hidden in the shade--the colors are still intense but they don't grow, they don't die! In the past in the mixed reef they did grow in a higher nutrient system and did respond well to spot feeding"¦

Mark

Attachments

• Image%209.jpg
    Image%209.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Image%206.jpg
    Image%206.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Here is a picture of two pectinia I have--the first is in the bottom middle of my old mixed reef tank setup. I have both in my mostly sps system now hidden in the shade--the colors are still intense but they don't grow, they don't die! In the past in the mixed reef they did grow in a higher nutrient system and did respond well to spot feeding"¦

Mark

Wow that is a nice piece man.
I did the same thing, had it in diff light settings, it didn't like light, but I then placed it under a rock, it really went downhill...
Maybe I had a delicate one..

here is mine about 8 months ago. he was suuuuper puffy that day. not crazy colors, but i like him!

IMAG0618.jpg

Scythanith, beautiful piece, this is encouraging and educational. I never realized they could take brine shrimp or that they puffed up. Do they have some type of tenticles or do they just envelope their food ?

Scythanith, beautiful piece, this is encouraging and educational. I never realized they could take brine shrimp or that they puffed up. Do they have some type of tenticles or do they just envelope their food ?

They change on a dime. Mine will put out feeders (~6") in a matter of a couple minutes if I feed. Really sticky and nasty, stings anything in the general vicinity. It can envelope some pretty large food.

Back