Peoples experience with Wrasse's that jump out of tanks

egg crate works fine for me. It may not be as good as a solid covering but it certainly will make it much more difficult for them to get through and offers better protection than no covering at all. I have had a number of fairy wrasses and none of them have jumped through. I don't know if they have different sizes of egg crate but there is no way my 4-5" fairies are getting though the egg crate I have, they are too fat. I would imagine the radiant at 4" would be similar in size to the fairies I have.

RichConley- In your experience this fish should be O.K and not jump as much as some other ones. Should I still use the egg crate if i decide to purchase this fish?

ObscurityKnocks- Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have had luck with the different wrasse fish you have kept. Just when I lean towards not getting one due to the jumping I am getting sucked right back in. It will be interesting to see the feeback other people have.

The question isn't really if it will jump, although that is part of it. The question is, are you willing to loose the fish/money? If you are, go for it. Get some egg crate and take the risk. If you are not willing to loose the fish/money, then don't get it.

Easy as that. Good luck. It is a beutiful fish.

verde_ad- I agree with what you are saying, I should just go for it. But for a fish that will cost me nearly $50 I thought I would see what some of the experiences people here at RC have had before I make that choice.

I am a full supporter of research. But what I have found is sometimes we get caught up in the details and never take risks. The question is, is it worth the risk.

We shouldn't be foolish, but lots of people keep wrasses and very few people have glass tops.

AJ

I hate to spend $50 for fish, take care of it for a month in quarantine then have him go carpet surfing. There isn't an infinite number of these fish in the wild. I was out of the marine hobby for years because collection techniques used in third world countries. All that live rock we cherish is collected by jokers with a sledge hammer in an unregulated country. R

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8587113#post8587113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
I hate to spend $50 for fish, take care of it for a month in quarantine then have him go carpet surfing. There isn't an infinite number of these fish in the wild. I was out of the marine hobby for years because collection techniques used in third world countries. All that live rock we cherish is collected by jokers with a sledge hammer in an unregulated country. R

You're missing the point.

A halichoeres wrasse is, IMO, no more likely to jump than a Tang, or an Angel. they are NOT the same as fairies and flashers.

Should you have some sort of cover? Maybe, but guilt tripping this kid is just silly.

Do you have a cover to keep your clownfish in the tank? Theres a thread in the DIY forum right now with a nice clear mesh cover. Check that out if you're interested.

Well radiant wrasses, which I seem to recall is halichoeres are considered jumpers at least by some. While I was certainly not trying to say that ALL wrasses jump, for those that do, egg crate may not cut it. But, as verde-ad says, if you are willing to take the risk, go for it.

The thread was titled "Peoples experience with Wrasse's that jump out of tanks" and I have a fair amount of experience with that subject. It was not titled "Will a radiant wrasse jump out of the tank". Since I have feather dusters and shrimp, I choose not to own a radiant wrasse.

snorvich- When I started this thread I wanted to get a wrasse for my setup. I happened to find the radiant at a LFS. I was under the impression that wrasses in general tend to jump but wanted to hear other people’s experiences before I make any decision. I apologize for the title being misleading in any way. But I do appreciate the input.

saltyreeftank, no problem by me. I was simply trying to respond to the thread which got a little side tracked when the debate over which wrasses jump got inserted. I have a lot of experience with wrasses that jump but certainly do not claim to have experience with ALL wrasses.

My solution is to have canopies over my primary tanks so that when they jump, they bounce off the walls and fall back into the tank. Obviously there are some downsides to this solution, not the least of which is expense. But I have some fish which cost more than the canopy so for me it is worth it.

snorvich- Thanks again. I would consider a canopy but I have not been able to find one for my tank as of yet. What I really want to do is add a fish that has a nice red color. The radiant wrasse at the LFS caught my eye. I was also considering a flame hawkfish, but I am concerned about the 2 Scarlet cleaner shrimp that are currently in the tank. I am open for any suggestions at this point to what would be the best choice for around $50.

Thanks

Well a red flame hawkfish can definitely have a taste for cleaner shrimp. I had to remove mine from one of my tanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8589162#post8589162 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Lubbock's are highly prone to jumping. Sorry Marie.
Thanks for the info - I didn't replace him, instead I bought a pair of yellow fin fairy wrasses - so far so good - no jumping, but it turns out they are both male :smokin:

My funky fish fence :lol2:

9-6-06_edited.jpg

I've lost a lubbocks and a midas blenny to jumping :( Saw the midas go through the eggcrate when I had it across the surface once... Anyways... I hated the thought of losing light due to the eggcrate so I built this little fence. My current wrasse [clown/painted] has "banked" off it numerous times, usually due to my GSM spooking it. No losses yet :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8585219#post8585219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jda
Leopards are the only wrasse that is not a real jumper. I haven't heard of too many people losing leopards that way.

I lost my leopard wrasse to jumping. I had an open backed canopy. It was very sad because I had him for about six months and he was very healthy and happy.

Back