peppermint shrip

Reeftopia.com has the good ones. And I believe that to be true. I got some from a local pet shop and they didnt touch them. Ordered some from reeftopia and they removed most of them except the larger ones.
Just make sure to get enough to take care of the amount of aptasia you have.

I have bought some from aquatouch on two seperate occasions to take care of some aptasia and both times the peps did their job.

I use aptasia-X in my tanks when I see any aptasia, and so far its worked great ever time and hasn't had any ill effects on my coral or fish. But I'm still learning and haven't been in the hobby for that long.

So, what is the name of this particular peppermints shrimp that eats aptasia? Street name and/or scientific name.

I got 3 peppermint shrimp locally about 6 months ago, for about 8 weeks, they did a great job and I could not really find anymore aiptasia. However, after this time, I noticed they started to enjoy the food I was feeding the fish and now they will not eat aiptasia anymore, so it is starting to come back a bit. The shrimp are still in there, but I guess the aiptasia does not taste as good as the fish food

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15495790#post15495790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ToolmanRR
So, what is the name of this particular peppermints shrimp that eats aptasia? Street name and/or scientific name.

Um dont know the scientific name but Peppermint shrimp eat Aptasia.

Sometimes stores will sell camel back shrimp as peppermint shrimp and they don't eat aptasia. Do a google search so you can identify them. Aquatouch always has a decent supply of peppermint shrimp.

Maybe you need more, your tanks pretty big.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15495863#post15495863 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by richardg6409
I got 3 peppermint shrimp locally about 6 months ago, for about 8 weeks, they did a great job and I could not really find anymore aiptasia. However, after this time, I noticed they started to enjoy the food I was feeding the fish and now they will not eat aiptasia anymore, so it is starting to come back a bit. The shrimp are still in there, but I guess the aiptasia does not taste as good as the fish food

The scientific name for peppermint schrimp is Lysmata wurdemani. Just go to your lfs and if they don't have any then ask them to order some. Most of the wholesalers have them & their not expensive. And as Richard states they need to be hungry to eat the aiptasia.

most peppermints (if not all) will eat aiptasia. i think alot of people confuse camel shrimp with peppermints. they are the same color except camel shrimp have a more sharp curve to their tail ^ instead of ) petco usually have peppermints for about $6 they also have camel shrimp though so make sure to get peppermints.

peppermint shrimp

Peppermint_Shrimp_ps.jpg

Camel shrimp
camel-shrimp.jpg

Last edited:
Carib. Peppermints will do a better job. They Have a curved whoop pattern to their lines opposed to the straight crosshatch. Unfortunatly I have not seen them available for a few years.

Basically the best peppermint shrimp to eat aiptasia are the hungry ones. Don't let them dine on the fish food, If they do get more shrimp.

Pacific pep shrimp are a cleaner species but Carribean peps eat aptasia. If the lfs buys in LA 9 outta 10 times they are pacific, I get mine in florida so I know what they are but it is very seasonal.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499968#post15499968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SWSaltwater
Pacific pep shrimp are a cleaner species but Carribean peps eat aptasia. If the lfs buys in LA 9 outta 10 times they are pacific, I get mine in florida so I know what they are but it is very seasonal.

I have always gotten my PEPs from Petco's and from what I understand Petco's critters come out from LA. All of mine have always eaten aiptasia.

I tried petco and went to a few locations and they are getting rid of their saltwater section. An employee told me that there is just a handfull of stores that will continue with saltwater.I asked why and he told me it was because no one was buying them and they were out- growing the tanks:rolleye1: :rolleye1:

:eek2: oh so sorry for petco i enjoy going in and asking if that ick covered fish lying on the bottom of the cyno laden tank is on sale

Back