PH Fluctuations

phishman1

I have a newly set up tank, day 9 now, I have live rock, live sand and I added 2 bottles of API quickstart on the advice of my LFS.

I do not have a fish in it, though yesterday I tried a damsel and unfortunately it died, first I thought it might have been because of Ammonia, it was at .025, the testing today I realized more than likely it was because my PH again had dropped, it was 7.4. Immediately I dosed to raise it and now its 8.2.

My question this is about the second or third time the PH has dropped only to have to be raised again, what is causing that?

Now without a fish I will just continue to monitor and do water tests every day till everything looks good cycle wise.

Someone told me that when I feed my angelfish and frontosa brine shrimp to drip in about 3 to 5 brine shrimp into the salt tank to ghost feed it, helping the bacteria?

Does this sound correct?

ph is a function of the co2 dissolved in the water. 7.4 sounds low, it should be around 8 unless you have a lot of people/animals in a confined space producing a lot of co2 into the surrounding air. don't dose buffer, it will drive your alkalinity too high.

Thanks for reply, no the tank is in my man cave, usually just me and the dog, lol. Haven't tested today. Honestly I spent the afternoon looking at youtube videos about cycling a tank and I think I'm falling into the trap of no patience. Couple of the videos I saw said, even with live rock, sand etc., takes a week for ammonia to lower, then second week for nitrate to move around, sometimes up to a month even seeding with biological additions, Dr Tims etc....

Going to have to exercise patience, more than I've had...

Man Cave usually suggests a basement. If so there is minimum air movement, a furnace & no open windows. All will contribute to lowering PH in water.

PH will do as it wants. I consider it the brat of the reef tank. When you dose buffers to raise it the increase will be temporary and it will go back down to where it was. You will end up with a high dKH and that can start causing other problems. Do you have a skimmer? If so you might consider using a reactor with soda lime for the airflow entering the skimmer. Soda lime will remove the CO2 from the air.

Patience is a virtue! :) This may not be practical but you could try running an airline from the outside. Either an air pump or connect it to the air intake on your skimmer if it has one to see if fresh air helps raie the pH.

Back