PH Spikes Cheato Growth

fishsuse29

I recently downsized to a 40 Breeder AIO. I set up the back chamber with a large Fuge for Cheato.

I am getting great growth from the Cheato but it is also causing high PH spikes. I am running on reverse lighting schedule from my main display lights.

So what is happening is that my PH is around 8.1 with just the main display lights on. However overnight the PH will spike to 8.6 since the Cheato is growing overnight.

Is this type of swing ok? or if not what I could I do to better control it?

How is your nutrient level. Reason I asked is if your chaeto is consuming more nutrient than needed, you can reduce the light time for the chaeto till you match the PH level you want. This would require a lot of testing if you don't already have that automated. Basically you want to find out what time your PH reaches the level you want and then turn your lights off. Also what do you dose and when do you dose it? Dosing Soda Ash could increase your ph, so if you dose it in large quantity at night, that could also impact your ph, to fix that, you can spread the dosing throughout the day. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

the Nutrients are high right now as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle since the move and most likely overstocked for a 40 Breeder since i downsized from a 150g.

Nitrates are at 25-30, Alk at 7.8 Calcium 420

Thats a good idea on the soda ash I have been doing the dosing when the fuge light is on so I will start doing the opposite and dose when the PH is the lowest

the Nutrients are high right now as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle since the move and most likely overstocked for a 40 Breeder since i downsized from a 150g.

Nitrates are at 25-30, Alk at 7.8 Calcium 420

Thats a good idea on the soda ash I have been doing the dosing when the fuge light is on so I will start doing the opposite and dose when the PH is the lowest
Yeah that should fix the issue. If you automating, it's best to spread the alk dosing throughout the day, if not dosing when the ph is the lowest is best practice and should help prevent large spikes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back