pH went to 8.44?

Crustman

I have 65 gallon reef with low calcium demand and have using kalk water for all all evaporation replacement. I had alkalinity of 11 also. I have taken stirrer off line until pH goes lower. I don't how much kalk to add to GSA stirrer. I tried 2 tablespoons. So far I have only lost 3 corals to this issue. I calibrated Pinpoint meter with new probe and have it on my system now. I read the sticky on high pH here. Thanks for any help.

Water will only take up so much Kalk & the rest will not dissolve unless you use vinegar.
Hopefully you did NOT dose the powder only clear liquid. Agree on not dosing until your target level is reached. You may only need a weak solution for your tank so I would use 1 TBSP & go from there.

Water will only take up so much Kalk & the rest will not dissolve unless you use vinegar.
Hopefully you did NOT dose the powder only clear liquid. Agree on not dosing until your target level is reached. You may only need a weak solution for your tank so I would use 1 TBSP & go from there.

Thank you. Will try that. Evaporation should not be high now because home temp is 60 and reef is 79.

I guess the pH and alkalinity will go down if I don't replace water with kalk for a few days. Kalk is dissolved in stirrer. I never add direct.

25g to 10L with 25g of white vinegar will give you a saturated solution. Adding the white vinegar will also reduce the ph of the kalk solution slightly if that's a concern. It's best not to use Kalk in an auto top off as the amount used will vary with evaporation. You're better off using a doser as that way you can control the amount used.

Back