pH

Knishfish

Hi Simon,

I've just read your article and found it very useful. I was hoping I could get some specific advice from you. I have 180 gal, reef, medium to heavy load of coral & fish, 11 months old (I've been in the hobby a lot longer), metal halides, VHO actinics, calcium reactor, protein skimmer, only RO water. Ca test shows Ca at 480-500 ppm. Alkalinity is at 11-12 dkH. pH has bottomed around 7.78. Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia are all at good levels. The flow through the Precision Marine Ca reactor is as they suggest: a constant drip so that you just reach the point of not being able to see individual drops. The pH out of the Ca reactor is 6.48. Question: Is there any way to raise pH while keeping Ca & Alkalinity relatively constant? Do I understand correctly that Kent Superbuffer will raise both pH and alkalinity? If I use Kalkwasser while using the Ca reactor, will I get Ca precipitating out? Which is a better solution: Kent Superbuffer or kalkwasser or any other ideas you have.

As an aside, I have hair algae problems. I was told by 'an expert' that higher pH should help get rid of this problem (I've tried the usual critters to no avail, I understand excess nutrients including food & am now cutting back on iodine & strontium). Is there merit to the pH:hair algae relationship in your experience?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jeff:)

I wouldn't add the Kent Superbuffer as this is only an alkalinity supplement and will skew your alkalinity/calcium relationship.

You could try adding a second chamber to the reactor. A large tubular container filled with an easy to dissolve media suchas Caribsea ARM that you drip the effluent from the calcium reactor through. Alot of reefers find this method useful for raising the pH of the output water slightly.

Alternativley you could use kalkwasser for your top off water. This would benifit in a couple of ways: First, adding kalkwasser helps to raise the pH of the tank as it mops up some of the CO2 to form calcium and carbonate from the calcium and hydroxide ions in the limewater. Secondy, because it is also raising your calcium and alkalinity levels you will be able to turn down your calcium reactor alittle so it isn't having to deal with all your demands.

I don't really have an answer on the hair algae problem. I have suffered most types of slime algae but never had hair algae. I think cutting back on the additives is a good idea if you have algae problems.

Thanks Simon. I've already done the 2nd chamber on the Ca reactor. I'll give the kalkwasser a try.

Cheers,

Jeff

I would say only add magnesium if you measure it and find it to be depleted. If you want further information on adding or the uses of magnesium then it is worth asking in/or searching the Chemistry forum.

Back