phoenix 14k no longer made.

tank121

Premium aquatics posted that the phoenix bulbs will no longer be made.
My favorite and only bulb that I have used for the last 10 years.
What is a good comparable bulb replacement for the DE 14K?

Oh really - I am due for lights.... I can't find any 72" VHO in stock now my phoenix will be ending- I guess I am forced to look at LEDs

Thanks. Oh well, I've owned DE and mogul phoenix, but switching back to Hamilton. I had a lot of success with them.

So with that said, what's comprable to the 10K Phoenix?

It's been ages since I ran MH, and I can't recall a 10K Phoenix. I did run a Phoenix 14K 250W DE on an M80 ballast. I also ran Giesemann 14.5 K Megachrome 250W DE on the same ballast and I thought the Giesemann bulb was a bit whiter. IIRC Sanjay spectral plots showed them to be nearly identical.

Best MH bulb I ever had was the Aquaconnect 14K 250W SE on M80 ballast. It sure was pricey.

Thanks mdt178, the Phoenix was called a 10K Plus which was suppose to be close to 14K. It was a crisp white with a tinge of blue. I'm not into the blue look of a tank. I'll look into the Giesmann 14.5K as a replacement.

I am not so sure that is correct.

I spoke with them last week and there was no mention of that.

PHX makes a popular bulb and plenty of people buy it.

Unfortunately metal halides are not necessarily made for aquariums. We just use the ones that work well and a few of them may have custom gasses for aquarium use but as the industry they are made for switches over to led we are doomed.

Radiums are for lighting the outside of buildings.

Bugger! This was my favorite bulb, luckily I have a few lightly used ones to get by. Ive tried Ushio 10k and 14k and Aquamedics 20k and 14k, but didn't care for them nearly as much as I did the Phoenix.

Unfortunately metal halides are not necessarily made for aquariums. We just use the ones that work well and a few of them may have custom gasses for aquarium use but as the industry they are made for switches over to led we are doomed.

Radiums are for lighting the outside of buildings.

As long as horticulture and aquaria exists, so will MH. The fixtures and bulbs we buy are not intended for anything but aquaria and horticulture. The 3500-6500 k bulbs are used on structures. Same goes with T5. There are specific bulbs, but houses stick with 3500-6500 k; go look at home Depot.

There will always be a market this lighting. Houses and offices still utilize T8 flourecent.

Back