Phoenix 14K's still a good choice?

IanJ

What's the current opinion with the Phoenix 14k DE 250W bulbs?
Are people who are using them long term still happy with the result with SPS tanks?

Now i have a mix of BLV 10K and 1 Phoenix 14K but prefer the look of the 14K and want to switch to all 14K

last set i got, both bulbs blew the same inner wire within days of each other after only 5-6mos use ... i have run another set for a year on my frag tank with great results....and before that i ran them on my display before decided to bump up the wattage. never had anything bad to say about them until the last site prematurely burnt out.

dont know how true it is, but have heard that they are working out a new manufacturer for these bulbs. that could change everything about them. may not be same color, ppfd, etc. I guess time will tell.

dont mean to spread gossip, but thats a consideration.

Mine are probably 4 months old. No problems. Excellent color and growth. Had them before too. Always a favorite IMHO. I have Icecap ballast, so no "over driving" as it were.

hth

i have 2 x 150 watt DE's, and love them. i think mine are about 5-6months old, and i am now experiancing the largest growth spurts that i have ever had on this tank. (it is just now becomeing a year old, so i think that has a lot to do with it) i am running a Sunlight supply 175 watt dual ballast. so they are overdriven.

overall, i love them, and will most likey get them when i need to change my bulbs.

i have also not noticed a huge color shift like most people usually say. (i have been taking constant pics so i can try to tell)

what the you can over drive a 150w de with a 175w ballast i heard it just blows the bulb up what the come one help me on this one

Who's carrying the Phoenix 14K these days? Reef Geek doesn't carry them and Premium's out of stock. Maybe there is a manufacturing change.

Anyone seen a side by side comparison of th Phoenix and Reeflux 12K?

I've had the same ones for 14 months and my SPS are going crazy. I'm replacing them anyhow because it's time. If you like a bluer tank but not too blue these are great.

Try reefapolis on Ebay. I have bought 150 and 250 14K Phoenix's from him recently.

Lee

I've ran the 150w on an electronic ballast, and the looks is of a 20k bulb (very blue). I now run 250w phoenix on a hqi ballast and it looks to me between 12k and 14k. Great color either way.

I will say my zoo's never looked better when under the pheonix. Also some of my sps for that matter.. I just switched to 10K Ushio's and I am considering going back or trying another 10K bulb. Probably reeflux. I like to coloration of Daddy Jax tank.

Eric at Fragfarmer.com used to carry them don't know if he has any in stock atm, since he just moved...

I am building my tank right now and was planning on 10k Xm's w PC supplements, I have 2 Aro 250w Electric ballast's and 2 De reflecters, how would these to setups compare

10k Xm's with Pc's Vs Phoenix 14K's

I tried the Phoenix 14k DE 250's on a PFO HQI ballast for a few months. You guys didn't find them kind of dim in appearance? I also thought they were as blue as a 20k. I guess if you run unsupplemented it would be a great bulb choice but with actinics, my favorite DE bulb was a 10k BLV.

Last edited:
Back