phosphate algae balls?

surgy

i was at the pet store tonight and saw something on the shelf "phosphate algae ball" basicly it was artificial algae wrapped around a mesh ball full of phosphate absorbing medium. its $4 and designed to be disposable. says it can significantly reduce phosphate in a 20 gallon tank in 2 months or less depending on flow and position.

anyone ever tried these? good idea? bad idea? possibly a hold over until i can afford a phosphate reactor? i have a 36 gallon tank so maybe two near the intake of my powerhead?

I guess if you like the way they look they might, might, do something. I hate the way they look and doubt their effectiveness. I don't know what your setup is but I'd rather just put a mesh bag of gfo somewhere or better yet, run a gfo reactor.

yeah i have no money for a reactor. but i can get gfo and put it in a small mesh bag and just put it somewhere? how much? how long?

Reactors are not expensive. Not much more than the gfo actually. Look up phosban 150 reactor.

Anyway, what is your setup? The sump would be the best place for ot if you had one. If not, try to find a place to hide it but a place that has good flow. Just fill up a mesh bag somewhere between half and three quarters full.

well its not the reactor thats expensive. its the sump/pump/plumbing/etc that i dont currently have plus the reactor thats expensive. im buying a little every week.

sorr for double post, just caught your question. my setup is a 36 gallon aqueon bow front. 18 lb live rock 4 lb base rock. 2 inches fine sand power filter (i know its yuck) 200 watt heater. petco brand 160 gph power head. and a ten gallon qt with the same gear and ten gallons of emergency di watter on hand with backups of all my equiptment. plus 30 gallons worth of buckets..... 160 gallons worth of instant ocean...... plan on two species of fish and a hand full of decorative inverts. nothing else.

Well I would seriously consider setting up a sump in the future. For now you could hang a phosban reactor on the back of the tank and run it via a ph.

ok cool thanks guys, yeah next time im at the store ill get some gfo and just stick it in my filter. and i am planning on a sump. just buying parts a little every payday. i wont get livestock that cant handle my conditions until they improve to the point where they caN

Back